Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Enable/disable S.m.a.r.t?

  1. #1
    Hey, got a little issue here.
    My Maxtor 80gb hard drive used to report temps (in smartfan), however now it does not??
    I've looked around for the option to maybe enable S.M.A.R.T somewhere but I can not find it. Is it there or is there something else that I've done?
    I am completly baffled as to why my hard drive would just randomly stop monitoring temps.
    Any ideas?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    K,
    Did you mean SpeedFan?

    Open the program and click on the SMART tab.
    Make sure that your drive is showing in the HD window ( it may be blank, just click on the arrow and select it from the drop down menu).
    Also, on the main page where it reports it's start up process, see if it shows that it has linked to the SMART sensor and detected your drive.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by clocker@25 June 2004 - 12:44
    K,
    Did you mean SpeedFan?

    Open the program and click on the SMART tab.
    Make sure that your drive is showing in the HD window ( it may be blank, just click on the arrow and select it from the drop down menu).
    Also, on the main page where it reports it's start up process, see if it shows that it has linked to the SMART sensor and detected your drive.
    haha yes I did mean Speedfan, my mistake, I've been looking to replace my system fans so that's where smartfan came from lol, sorry.
    Anyway, I did everything you suggested already, and the hard drive is not available in the drop down menu, and on startup of the prog it does not say S.M.A.R.T anywhere, that's why I thought it may be disabled somewhere?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    I don't think you can disable SMART sensing.
    It either does it or not.

    Prolly in your situation I would uninstall the program, reboot and then install it again.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,484
    Originally posted by clocker@25 June 2004 - 17:52
    I don't think you can disable SMART sensing.
    It either does it or not.

    Prolly in your situation I would uninstall the program, reboot and then install it again.
    well my old pc-chips mobo in the bois allowed me to disable and enable SMART for hdd..

    try checking your bios

    My Blog
    I'm still here.

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by clocker@25 June 2004 - 12:52
    I don't think you can disable SMART sensing.
    It either does it or not.

    Prolly in your situation I would uninstall the program, reboot and then install it again.
    Alright, will do
    Thanks
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 June 2004 - 09:58

    well my old pc-chips mobo in the bois allowed me to disable and enable SMART for hdd..

    try checking your bios
    I was referring to the SpeedFan program.
    K would know if he had changed the BIOS.
    That's not something that just happens, usually.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by clocker+25 June 2004 - 13:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 25 June 2004 - 13:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@25 June 2004 - 09:58

    well my old pc-chips mobo in the bois allowed me to disable and enable SMART for hdd..

    try checking your bios
    I was referring to the SpeedFan program.
    K would know if he had changed the BIOS.
    That&#39;s not something that just happens, usually. [/b][/quote]
    Correct, I would know if I had of changed something in the BIOS
    I don&#39;t think I sleepwalk that bad to have changed it without knowing either
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by kaiweiler+25 June 2004 - 13:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 25 June 2004 - 13:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@25 June 2004 - 13:06
    <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5
    @25 June 2004 - 09:58

    well my old pc-chips mobo in the bois allowed me to disable and enable SMART for hdd..

    try checking your bios

    I was referring to the SpeedFan program.
    K would know if he had changed the BIOS.
    That&#39;s not something that just happens, usually.
    Correct, I would know if I had of changed something in the BIOS
    I don&#39;t think I sleepwalk that bad to have changed it without knowing either [/b][/quote]
    send it back and get a new one for free.

    you have borrow my copy of xp pro if you need it.

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by scottwile@25 June 2004 - 13:33
    send it back and get a new one for free.

    you have borrow my copy of xp pro if you need it.
    haha I don&#39;t think I need to send it back, but I do need your XP cd though, gotta reformat anyway, so I&#39;ll see if SMART works again after the format.
    @Clocker - It didn&#39;t work to reinstall and restart.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •