Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Installing Xp

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    @canuck you sound like your doing fine , just answered your own questions.

If all else fails check partions again before you install. Do you have one or two ? Then go for it. Before install ,make sure your disconnected from the internet. Then install anti virsus ,firewall, spyware,Connect then. First update all windows critical ,theres a lot ..
    Update virus, blah blah . PM me for help its not hard just intimadating at first. Your half way there

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Originally posted by ramnique@26 June 2004 - 01:19
    NTFS does give a good file system...but it is not compatible with older versions of windows......so in a supposed crash of win xp- u will have to reformat all ur partitions and risk losing all data if u have to install an older version-like win98...

ramnique
    Permission for files “specially in windows/*” will be set right

Some files will be compress to save space

And it is not hard to recover files..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    alrite guys were do i get thses updates from. i know its on microsoft.com but if u oculd direct me in the right direction that would b nice

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    NTFS is the true way to go braddah, dont do FAT32...FAT32 is as good as gone, the new age is here and it's kickin' fatties out the door. Unless you already did it and now you're screwed j/k.
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 01:33
    alrite guys were do i get thses updates from. i know its on microsoft.com but if u oculd direct me in the right direction that would b nice
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by Ariel_001+25 June 2004 - 22:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ariel_001 @ 25 June 2004 - 22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 01:33
    alrite guys were do i get thses updates from. i know its on microsoft.com but&nbsp; if u oculd direct me in the right direction that would b nice
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ [/b][/quote]
    You softy make him google or something &#33; JK Good on you you crazy Canuck

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    alrite ijust woke up, i plan on fixing the rest today. i was dling the updates, all 100 of em and when i turned the screen on it waid that virtural memory is low so it had to cut the program out. well thats weird cause i have tons of memory. anyway, im just installing them now and it seems to go fine, but how do i stop this from happenin again?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 11:54
    alrite ijust woke up, i plan on fixing the rest today. i was dling the updates, all 100 of em and when i turned the screen on it waid that virtural memory is low so it had to cut the program out. well thats weird cause i have tons of memory. anyway, im just installing them now and it seems to go fine, but how do i stop this from happenin again?
    virtual memory isn&#39;t ram.

look in my pinned guide (link in sig) for how to change teh virtual memory settings. Make it set max and min to same amount, something atleast 300mb.

Also make sure that u get a good firewall and antivirus, they are very important to keeping your comp safe.

last thing, go to device manager (right click my comp>manage>device manager on left side) and make sure there are no devices with a "&#33;" or a "?" next to them, if ther are please post them and we will help u find teh driver that u need to install.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123