Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well This Isnt Good

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    well, as some of u know i just installed xp home edition. i have just encountered one of the problems i had the last time i was using xp. right now i am running spybot s&d and msn and my system resourses r capped at 100%

im sure its just a simple tweak to make this go away, but i figure if i dont fixc this it will get unstable.

Edit: heres a pic Image Resized
    [img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/thecanuk-untitled.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

i think its that page memorry thingy, but i dont know how to change it with xp.

wut do u think? it seems to shoot up and down from 2-3 percent to 100 percent

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Page file settings? This is a good link.
    http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP17.htm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    what do u think the problem is, whats causing this when i have only 2 processes running? spybot s&d and msn. it jumps up and down, how can i stop this.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    did you try his link? I once had a problem like that (when I formatted for my new HD) and yeah, I forgot to set my page files, when I got it right, it was all good.
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i read over it, but i dont know wut it means. i set my page file at 512-512, but thats all i knoiw

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    512-512? that's not a good range

you have to set a range like 512-1000

be careful how you set things, do a little research, stuff like that can fuck up your pc in no time.
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ok, i have 384 mb of ram, so shouldnt i put itat 384-1000?

anything else that would cause this system resource hogging type thing with almost nothing on my comp?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    new question. i just started up my favourite game bf1942 for the first time with xp onthis pc. wow, it ran like a dream, i was able to put it at high settings and it still rAN SUPER SAMOOTH. B4 I HAD EVERYTHING ON LOW, NOW ITS AT MEDIUM. but it crashed cause the resoursed were at 100% after 10 min. this was my main problem b4, how do i fix it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Titus808@26 June 2004 - 19:30
    512-512? that's not a good range

you have to set a range like 512-1000

be careful how you set things, do a little research, stuff like that can fuck up your pc in no time.
    If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't advise people what to do.

512-512 is perfectly OK, and he doesn't have to set it to a range.

Nice to see, though, that you then advise researching and warning of the dangers of fucking around with things, right after your gaffe.

Personally, I'd recommend letting Windows set the pagefile size.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    but why does it keep saying im using 100 percent of system resources?, i barley have anything on this computer, and when i try to play a game it crashes to desktop because of this. what do i do? do i need more hardware, of is their a software soloution>?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast