Thread: How To Get Fast Speeds With Limewire Pro?

Poster
    I have Limewire Pro 4.05 that was posted on here a while ago, how can I get my speeds up! They're just so much slower than what I can get on K-lite or Ares, I'm using Limewire cuz K-lite just always gives me "Needs more sources for downloads" and Ares isn't good with Software, So I'm using limewire with 512 ADSL and I'm getting 2kb! Is ADSL like Emule or Bittorrent where I have to wait hours to get fast speeds or should the speeds be instant?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Does Limewire say it's firewalled?
    If so, that's the problem.

Also, Limewire needs to be unfirewalled both for TCP packets AND UDP packets.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Where would it tell me if it's unfirewalled, I'm not on a firewall though.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Check under Options, it might be limiting your bandwith.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Vamp@26 June 2004 - 16:34
    Where would it tell me if it's unfirewalled, I'm not on a firewall though.
    'Firewalled' is the state a computer is in rather than a simple firewall program being run.

This can be caused by all-in-one antivirus software -- which tries to monitor the internet connection as well as scanning your hard drive/s.

Unless port-forwarding (or equivalent) is used, routers are ALWAYS firewalled.

Win XP (after running one of the later patches) has a software firewall built-in, which is set to ON by default.

Some ADSL modems have firewalls and/or routers built into them -- this TOO can cause your connection to be firewalled.

Lastly, your ISP may be firewalling you ...or worse ...to prevent you from using (at least to the fullest) file-sharing networks.

Check Limewire's help FAQs for how to determine if it's firewalled or not... and if it is, try to unfirewall it -- as your download speeds will likely double if you do!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by Switeck@26 June 2004 - 20:29
    Some ADSL modems have firewalls and/or routers built into them -- this TOO can cause your connection to be firewalled.
    My friend had that problem with every P2P program he used including BT because he was on ADSL with two comps in his house that was behind a router. So it might now be the actual program it self giving you slow speeds.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Yep, I have 3 pcs in my house connected to ADSL with a router! Anything I can do to stop it from slowing down my speeds?

Well, thing is, maybe it's natural to get those speeds, I'm trying to download software called SmartSound, it downloads from 2 hosts in between 0-2kb/s

Just as a test, I started Downloading Dawn Of The Dead, which had like 30 sources, and it started going at 22kb/s

Does this mean that my router might still be giving problems, or it's defintely not a firewall problem?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    You might not be behind a firewall, it's just most likely you router. But I don't know anything about how to fix that, because I've been on 56K since day one.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by [-Crono-
    ,26 June 2004 - 21:36] My friend had that problem with every P2P program he used including BT because he was on ADSL with two comps in his house that was behind a router. So it might now be the actual program it self giving you slow speeds.
    It's not the program's fault the user is behind a router.

A router is typically a switch, a NAT device, AND a hardware firewall all-in-1.

But the user has to port-forward that router (or routers&#33 if they want to download from firewalled sources... because currently they are firewalled themselves!

It is a CRAPPY ADSL modem if it doesn't have port-forwarding ability -- so it's probably just a matter of finding the manual for it (try downloading it from the maker's website if nothing else) and figuring out how to forward ports. It's even worth a call or email to the company that makes it concerning your problem.