Thread: How To Positivly Erase Files?

how do i positivly erase unwanted files i have downloaded?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Just erase them from your shared folder like you would have done with any type of file. If the file you tyr to delete is being uploaded, though, you won't be able to. Then you'll have shut down kazaa or unshare the files through "My Kazaa..."

And by the way; read the FAQ!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    thanks for the response. i have done all that but even after i have deleted files from my shared folder i have found them weeks later still on the computer?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by cultus@26 June 2004 - 14:24
    i have done all that but even after i have deleted files from my shared folder i have found them weeks later still on the computer?
    Those are computer viruses more than likely.

You REALLY need to get some good antivirus software and Ad Aware (and possibly SpyBot seek and destroy) as well... and use it!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    cultus @ 26 June 2004 - 17:59
    [/QUOTE]how do i positivly erase unwanted files i have downloaded?[QUOTE]

Check out

systemshield

East-Tec Eraser 2004

Window Washer

Just Google them

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    there are special programs out that will erase files from your computer and make them so that they can never be recovered. i.e. clean erase

anywys, what your problem seems to be is that you are deleting the files, and then later running some utilities program (like norton utilities) and it is restoring the files to thier original location. The only thing you need to do is just delete, then go to recycling bin and empty it. You'll never see the files again.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by cultus@26 June 2004 - 11:24
    .....even after i have deleted files from my shared folder i have found them weeks later still on the computer?
    By simply deleting them from your Shared Folder (they then go to the Recycle Bin) and emptying the Recycle Bin should be enough to remove them completely from your computer.

Before deleting the next file(s) that you want to remove, write down the file name and after emptying the Recycle Bin do a Search and see if the same file(s) are still on your computer somewhere.
    This should be a clue then as to where they are being copied to.

Be sure to empty the Recycle Bin or else they will be found by the Search (but in the Recycle Bin of course).

mrlessk

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    As an after thought, just deleting the files only removes the read/write tags from the files. Technically, they are still there.

To really erase them, get a shredder. East Tec 04 is a damn nice one but there are plenty of freeware apps out there that can do the job. At the moment I use the Steganous Security Suits which has a file shredder with right click shell integration.

Just in case u didn't know.....

BoNe

PS-For antivirus, I use Avast. I have the Pro edition, but the home is free. I've had better luck than with AVG. NOD32 is the best though.

Also, heres the links for Spybot Search & Destroy and AD-aware, Keep'em updated and scan at least weekly.

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    delete it through dos?

but ya their probally trojans, and in my experiences they dont go away without a fight

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Thx,canuck.....I forgot about dos. The data is still there, but it'll allow you to remove the read/right tags on files that windows locks, and trojans usually manage to lock themselves up pretty tight.

Just reboot and start tapping F8. Choose 'safe mode with command prompt'. You'll need the path to the file in question. Migrate there and use the 'dir' command to make sure it's there and just use 'del + filename' to remove it. Use 'dir' again to ensure it's gone.

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!