Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Hardware

I just setup a wireless network and I was wondering if there is a way to boost the wireless signal? It goes between "low" and "good", but speed stays low. I have a wireless G router, so in theory I should be hitting speeds of 54mbps, but its hovering around 10.

Any tips on improving the signal? Also, is there additional hardware that I can buy to help relay the signal?

Thanks for any info

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have read that the wireles base station placement can be very critical and finicky.
    Maybe try moving it around and see if you are just in a semi-deadspot.

There are signal boosters available too.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Sorry that this doesn't answer your question, but how far away is the computer? i was just wondering...if i ever get a laptop, im going wireless for it. Just trying to get an idea of what speeds and how far i can get with it, don't mean to hi jack your thread or anythig either.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    This March I set up a wireless network in my brother's house.
    His laptop could connect way out into the street and the two PCs in the lower level had no problems at all.

We used Linksys eqiupment.
    It basically set itself up too, could hardly have been simpler.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@28 June 2004 - 01:00
    This March I set up a wireless network in my brother's house.
    His laptop could connect way out into the street and the two PCs in the lower level had no problems at all.

Im sure by teh time i get a laptop the wireless network will go from my house to other countries with no problems.

not too worried about setup difficulty, i enjoy trying to figure that kinda stuff out.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    hmmm, wonder if they have internet up in the space station.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    So do I, but you really should not allow the "plug and play" configuration... its kinda not secure.

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question, but how far away is the computer? i was just wondering...if i ever get a laptop, im going wireless for it. Just trying to get an idea of what speeds and how far i can get with it, don't mean to hi jack your thread or anythig either.
    Don't worry, it sorta applies to my topic anyway. My router is downstairs, I'm upstairs. Not sure about the exact distance though. The signal is pretty bad, hopefully the router is just in a deadspot...?

Are there extension antennas that could help?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by mojo2185@27 June 2004 - 23:20

So do I, but you really should not allow the "plug and play" configuration... its kinda not secure.

Isn't wireless inherently "kinda not secure"?
    How close does someone have to be to pick up your signal?

Since his house is on the top of a hill surrounded by 3 acres any unmarked vans would stick out like a sore thumb.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Isn't wireless inherently "kinda not secure"?
    Yeah, its never 100% secure, but you can get close. I would do my best to secure the network to avoid any possible problems.

How close does someone have to be to pick up your signal?
    Since his house is on the top of a hill surrounded by 3 acres any unmarked vans would stick out like a sore thumb.
    Depends on how strong your signal is. But yeah, that would be pretty obvious, lol.

Anyway, back to the actual topic at hand. What are the signal boosters called (or are the just called wireless signal boosters?). Any recommend an extended antenna to pick up a better signal?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I've seen longer antennas, possibly signal boosters, on tiger direct. Maybe ill take a look for you.

edit: her are lots of extensions and antennas at tigerdirect.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast