Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.s. Hands Over Iraq

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/28/internat...28CND-NATO.html

Martial law?! How is that democracy again?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Could you quote the story for those of us that don't want to register please?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It's all a lie; the "new" Iraq is just a hand-puppet CIA front for the Cheney-led Halliburton Corp., and everybody knows it; why even solicit opinions?

The insurgents are only fighting to ensure Al Jazeera can continue broadcasting the basic truth of U.S. brutality and suppression of the Iraqi people.

Solid evidence exists that the Kurds are being trained in crude surgical techniques that will allow Iraqi citizens to be sewn together in an oral/anal fashion to save the cost of an oil-pipeline with which to rape the country's oil-supply.

Oh, the humanity!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Could you post a source for your information, j2?

I know how often you cite Al Franken.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Darn we pushed J2 too far...he missed the middle ground and went straight to the leftiest of lefty left stances...pehaps we put too much wax on the floor

by the way..i do see your sarcasm

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Originally posted by vidcc@28 June 2004 - 20:36
    Darn we pushed J2 too far...he missed the middle ground and went straight to the leftiest of lefty left stances...pehaps we put too much wax on the floor

lol, j2 going that lefty? my god, wat have we done

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by vidcc@28 June 2004 - 20:27
    Could you quote the story for those of us that don't want to register please?
    U.S.-Led Forces Would Back Martial Law, Bush Says
    By SUSAN SACHS

Published: June 28, 2004

STANBUL, June 28 — President Bush said today that coalition forces in Iraq would support a possible decision by the new Iraqi leadership to declare martial law to deal with escalating violence and terror attacks.

"Iraqis know what we know, that the best way to defend yourself is to go on the offensive," he said, speaking at a news conference with Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain.

The two leaders, the main proponents of the invasion of Iraq, acknowledged that they had yet to convince many of their critics that the war was justified.

But Mr. Blair said the transfer of sovereignty to Iraqis today demonstrated their commitment to fostering democracy in Iraq, not just ridding the country of a dictator and then occupying the country.

"From now on," he said, "the coalition changes. We are there in support of the Iraqi government and the Iraqi people."

Iraq's new prime minister, Iyad Allawi, and other Iraqi leaders have said they are considering stringent measures, including the imposition of martial law, to establish a modicum of order in Iraq and gain credibility with the Iraqi public, whose main complaint during the 14-month occupation has been a lack of security.

President Bush and Mr. Blair pledged continuing military support for the new Iraqi government, saying their soldiers would help protect public property and provide security for national elections next year.

Under the terms of a United Nations Security Council resolution passed this month, the multinational force now in Iraq will remain under American command but work in coordination with Iraq's government.

NATO heads of state meeting in Istanbul today also offered to help train Iraqi security forces, although they said that individual NATO nations would decide what form any assistance would take.

Mr. Bush said the Iraqi leadership faced extraordinary security challenges that might require tough temporary measures. In particular, he cited Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian terrorist blamed for organizing a series of devastating bombings as well as the kidnapping and beheadings of foreigners in Iraq.

An American marine, a Pakistani and three Turks are believed to be in the hands of Zarqawi allies, who have threatened to kill them.

"Prime Minister Allawi, as head of a sovereign government, may decide he has to take tough measures to deal with a brutal cold-blooded killer," Mr. Bush said, in a reference to Mr. Zarqawi. "Our job is to help."

Mr. Bush spoke eight hours after the surprise handover of power to the interim Iraqi government in Baghdad, which came two days ahead of schedule out of security concerns.

The transfer of sovereignty was moved up from June 30 in response to the request of Mr. Allawi. A senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity in a briefing for reporters, said the idea had been discussed in Baghdad and Washington for about one week.

Mr. Allawi had told the administration that today would be "the right day," the official added, and the final decision to go ahead with an early handover was made late Sunday.

He said that Mr. Allawi had informed L. Paul Bremer III, the occupation administrator in Iraq, and that Mr. Bremer had notified Mr. Bush and his aides, who arrived in Istanbul Saturday night.

President Bush said he was convinced that the Iraqis were ready and able to take charge of their own affairs.

"Last Friday, we handed over the final ministry to the Iraqi government, so, in other words, we have been making a transfer of sovereignty all along," Mr. Bush said. "The final decision was made by Prime Minister Allawi. He thought it would strengthen his hand. I thought it was a smart thing to do, primarily because the prime minister was ready for it."

He went on to praise Mr. Allawi and the interim Iraqi president, Ghazi al Yawar, as strong leaders who had shown that they were ready for independence.

"They're gutsy, courageous and, as they say in Texas, they're stand-up guys," he said. "They'll lead. They'll lead their people to a better day."

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I heard nato will be helping train the iraqis in battle. As soon as they are finished I can imagine Iraq starting Jihad against America. They are just waiting for the shi'ite leader to ssay the word. They are more than willing to do anything he says. Hopefully the guy does realise that he was freed by the Americans from Saddam Hussain.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by cpt_azad+29 June 2004 - 02:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cpt_azad @ 29 June 2004 - 02:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@28 June 2004 - 20:36
    Darn we pushed J2 too far...he missed the middle ground and went straight to the leftiest of lefty left stances...pehaps we put too much wax on the floor&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

lol, j2 going that lefty? my god, wat have we done [/b][/quote]
    Just a demonstration to show how easily it&#39;s done.

Michael Moore would be dogging my tracks if I wanted, but I think I prefer the high road.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by 99shassan@29 June 2004 - 11:06
    I heard nato will be helping train the iraqis in battle. As soon as they are finished I can imagine Iraq starting Jihad against America. They are just waiting for the shi&#39;ite leader to ssay the word. They are more than willing to do anything he says. Hopefully the guy does realise that he was freed by the Americans from Saddam Hussain.
    Freed is such a complex idea.

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast