Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got My Sata Harddrive Back

Poster
    Hey guys,

some of you know that my computer went *boom* a couple of weeks ago...

... i think the problem was due to static electricity.... ANYWAY>>

UT2004 doesnt run as good as i would like it to.... on my current Western Digital 80gig IDE harddrive.

My question is if i fresh install the game on my brand new unopened-uninstalled sata 80 gig HD will this improve performance? Im talking about loading times...and that annoying lag thing ya get when ya play Onslaught...

p.s im scared ill blow up my computer again if i install the harddrive now that i have a radeon 9800 pro

note: that i only have a Hyena 300W PS

EDIT: GREAT!!! Now i followed that optimising guide by some loser, and now i get this message everytime im about to start a new level...

UT2004 Build UT2004_Patch_[2004-06-11_16.51]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2194 MHz with 511MB RAM
    Video: RADEON 9800 PRO (DNA 2.6.4.6) (6451)

General protection fault!

History: ꠀᙡ <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

P.s maybe id have more replys in game world?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Installing to the sata drive may help, but not promising anything.
    reason i think it will help is that the OS is doin stuff in the background, loading stuff from it&#39;s hard drive. If you put the game on the other drive, the sata, not only is it faster ot begin with, but also it isn&#39;t being used by anythihng but the game as you play...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    And you dont need to reinstall it , i copied the ut2004 folder to my sata hdd a couple of weeks ago and updated the shortcuts.
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by racer II@30 June 2004 - 11:39
    And you dont need to reinstall it , i copied the ut2004 folder to my sata hdd a couple of weeks ago and updated the shortcuts.
    Reinstalling will probably be best since now he is having all those errors and stuff.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+30 June 2004 - 17:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 30 June 2004 - 17:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-racer II@30 June 2004 - 11:39
    Reinstalling will probably be best since now he is having all those errors and stuff. [/b][/quote]
    Yes it is , i didnt read that part :">
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Plus you woulod need to edit regestry entrys, thats why even renaming the folder to say UT2004A would make it so it wouldnt work.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    ok cool thanks for your advise guys.

Also> Im sceptical about installing the Harddrive. I have a bad feeling that something will go wrong...

...Is it common to have components blow up, when ya install a new device that requires the PS to run it? Or would it have blown up because i installed the Radeon 9800pro just when i woke up (all that static electricity and no anti-static wrist band?)

Edit: That might be confusing to some... lol... what im trying to say is ..

> If there is not enough power from the PS to deliver to all the components in a new installed machine (DVDrw, R9800pro, IDE HD, SATA HD, 3 1/2 floppy drive, 2 case fans) would that be trouble on the components e.g blow them up?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Dray_04@30 June 2004 - 19:29
    ...Is it common to have components blow up, when ya install a new device that requires the PS to run it?
    No, it&#39;s not...

When my PS blew and i was trying to run on a 250watt, i first tried it as just motherboard, videocard, and ram. worked fine. Tried hard drive, fine. Tried cd drives, wouldn&#39;t boot anymore. Unhooked them, worked.

So it probably isn&#39;t power supply&#39;s fault...unless it is a really really cheap one.

edit: Oh yeah, don&#39;t be scared to put the sata drive in. It&#39;s so simple to do, i do it in teh dark.

nahh, jk, but really you shouldn&#39;t be scared to do it, nothing should go wrong, just be more careful this time.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    well why the hell did it blow up last time...?

lol

Oh yeh i fixed my UT2004 problem&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

I put my processor back to the standard 2500+ speeds and no more crashes

Weird how i cant play with an overclocked CPU

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Dray_04@30 June 2004 - 18:44

Weird how i cant play with an overclocked CPU
    No that&#39;s not weird it&#39;s simply evidence that your system was only marginally stable under the conditions you were running.
    After you OCed did you run a extended test using a burn-in wizard or Prime or anything?

I&#39;m guessing you would have crashed.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast