Thread: What Is Ieee 1394?

Keikan's Avatar ........
    What is IEEE 1394? Firewire?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Do i have it? There's a 1394 connection in my network connections. But it's unplugged

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Keikan@1 July 2004 - 22:18
    Do i have it? There's a 1394 connection in my network connections. But it's unplugged
    look at teh back or front of your computer for a plug like this (firewire):
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.dpreview.com/news/9908/firewire.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

You may also have onboard firewire, but no bracket for it...(no connector)
    take a look in device manager.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    nothing like that at the back of my pc, I think i have onboard firewire how do i use it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Keikan@4 July 2004 - 20:06
    nothing like that at the back of my pc, I think i have onboard firewire how do i use it?
    You might have gotwith your motherboard, or need to order ( ), a bracket that plugs into the motherboard on teh inside, then it goes into a slot on the case, where the PCI slots are, there are usually 2 unused ones at the bottom of your case, it goes there.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    its firewire. u might find it looks similar to a usb. so take a look closely. if ur mobo has it, it should be in the back

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Keikan@5 July 2004 - 01:06
    With the A7N8X-E there should have been a back panel bracket with a couple of plugs that connect to your motherboard at the back, just below the AGP slot. If I remember correctly they are coloured red.

How do you use it? AFAIK you simply connect a firewire device and it works, just like connecting a USB hard drive or digital camera.

But if you mean using it as a network, why would you want to. It isn't as efficient as ethernet and not as universally available. I've disabled mine to cut down on unused processes.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    I agree w/ lynx. To use it, just get a firewire compatible periphrial such as an External HD,IPod, or DV Cam and plug it in. Windows should just make a popping sorta noise and say new hardware found. Then u use it with whichever prgm u need to,

Da Numba1Xclusive King