Thread: Router Or Modem?

iswaty
    ADSL ----->Which one is better behind the router or directly to modem???

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    i'd say router but its pretty pointless unless of course ur looking to aatach more than one PC /server or games console to your bb connection

if its a single PC go for modem and get sygate firewall protection

anthing more then go for the router

single port gor 2 PCs or 1 PC and a games console

4 port for more PCs/consoles
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMD 2600
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bit torrent client - ABC</span></span></span>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Even if you have only one computer connected via a broadband connection, a router is ALWAYS better than a software firewall. But having both is preferable. The router is what is seen when someone is attempting to probe your computer. The IP address seen is that of the router and not of your computer, which is a private IP address. Then you back it up with a software firewall, and you&#39;re much better off.
    The reason that a hardware firewall (router) is better than a software firewall is that the common software firewalls are well known by most hackers. Most inexperienced users accept the default settings, which are known by hackers. It&#39;s not too difficult to bypass Zone Alarm or My Tiny Firewall, or even Symantec. It&#39;s a lot harder (but nothing is impossible) when you have to get through a hardware firewall (router) before you even get to the software.
    If you&#39;re really good, you can change your port settings so that it&#39;s much more difficult to figure out where your traffic is going. Most traffic goes through commonly used ports, so hackers know them. If you change those (and know what you&#39;re doing), you can hide yourself even more. Of course if you know that much, you won&#39;t be reading this post&#33;
    Then to really make it tough, add a virtual proxy to the mix.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    id also advise router for 2 reasons: security as in the post above, but also, just because youre only using 1 pc now, doesnt mean you always will - then you have a premade LAN, just add cables..then you wont have to buy a modem and then a router
    <insert signature here>

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Routers are really not that secure. Depending on what king of router you have and especially how much control and user interaction the router allows. If it&#39;s minimal then you really can&#39;t do anything with a router when a real problem occurs. Routers get owned on the net everyday just like computers do.

I do agree that having both software and hardware as well as possibly a dmz box for added security would be ok.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Dont get confused now, a router and a firewall are not the same thing. Even though you commonly find them as a single appliance when buying for Broadband.

You must also take in account when buying a modem router or individually, as to the type of connection you wish to have. ie. Ethernet or USB.

USB would be commonly found on ADSL modems and Ethernet (RJ45) on Cable modems however you are able to get either connection on Cable and ADSL modems.

I would agree with the advice of the other people on this thread and suggest that you get a Modem/Router/Firewall solution that way you are protected by multiple solutions and growth will not be hindered at a later date.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Eithernet is a muuch better connection, USB can lag and you not find you getting the best out of your interne connection.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I agree totally, I would personally always adopt the Ethernet option as the perfomance and flexiblity of ethernet can not really be matched.

However USB is better for novice users as it is plug and play&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Candy King+28 July 2004 - 04:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Candy King &#064; 28 July 2004 - 04:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Eithernet is a muuch better connection, USB can lag and you not find you getting the best out of your interne connection.[/b]
    <!--QuoteBegin-wto@28 July 2004 - 04:59
    I agree totally, I would personally always adopt the Ethernet option as the perfomance and flexiblity of ethernet can not really be matched.

However USB is better for novice users as it is plug and play&#33;
    [/quote]Ethernet is almost plug-and-play if you use the &#39;obtain an ip address automatically&#39; option.

One thing to note is wireless "ethernet" -- especially via a USB connection -- can be exceptionally bad. I&#39;ve seen scientific studies which showed the actual SUSTAINABLE throughput/speed for those connections at only 20 feet apart are often only barely 1 mbps. (that&#39;s megabit per second, not megaBYTE per second.)

The newer models can come closer to theoretical limits imposed by the protocol/transmission method and the newer wireless standards are almost as fast theoretically as 100 mbps wired ethernet. But wireless routers do not seem to be very good at multiplexing multiple connections at once by a single computer to all over the internet. Sending 100+ MB of files via a single send to a computer in another room is not the same as trying to download from 100+ people at once all over the internet. EACH one of those requires a separate TCP/IP (or UDP) connection and the wireless router and wireless LAN card/s have to keep track of all that without crashing. Often they crash the whole network when someone tries to be a UltraPeer on the Gnutella network, a HUB while running Shareaza, or a Supernode on Kazaa/Fasttrack network.