Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me Nice People

Ok, I have to build a computer for someone. I've done it twice so I know basically how to build it. I think picking and purchasing the parts is the hardest part.....so i've come up with a basic list, that are all hopefully compatible, that meets $700 + $300 for a 15'' LCD. The whole package has to be an even $1000. This person I'm making the computer for doesn't use the computer too much and doesn't know much about it. He will only play 1 game - Need for Speed:underground, but will watch DVDs so I don't think the video card has to be that good. Now I'm hoping I can get a better price for these products, but I just quickly looked on newegg.com for all these. Please look at this list and help me, THANK YOU

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
    - Specifications -
    Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
    Core: Prescott
    Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
    FSB: 800MHz
    Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
    Voltage: 1.25-1.525V
    Process: 0.09Micron
    Socket: Socket 478
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
    Warranty: 3-year MFG
    Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)
    $175.00
    [I see some 2.8B ghz, E ghz...they are $5 difference...someone tell me the difference please]

Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080P0, OEM Drive Only
    **NON-REFUNDABLE ITEM.Warranty is provided through product Manufacturer Only!
    - Specifications -
    Capacity: 80GB
    Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
    Buffer: 8MB
    Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
    Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
    Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
    Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
    Packaging: OEM Drive Only
    $74.99

NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model ND-2500A, OEM Bulk
    -Specifications-
    Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW
    Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
    Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
    Buffer: 2MB
    OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
    Features: Vertical operation possible, anti-dust seal
    Packaging: OEM Bulk Pack
    $70

ABIT "IC7" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
    - Specifications -
    Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4(Hyper Threading) Processors
    Chipset: Intel 875P + ICH5R
    FSB: 800/533MHz
    RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB(ECC)
    IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
    Slots: 1x AGP Pro 8X/4X(0.8/1.5V), 5x PCI
    Ports: 2xPS/2,1xLPT,1xCOM,SPDIF Out,3xIEEE1394a(Rear 1),8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),Audio Ports
    Onboard Audio: 6-Channel AC97 Codec
    Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1
    Onboard 1394: 3 Ports
    Form Factor: ATX
    $110

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800SE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK
    - Specifications -
    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800SE/325MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/580MHz
    BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI Connector
    Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
    Cable/Accessories: 2 Cables, Driver CD
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
    $134

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM (limit 50 per customer)
    Capacity: 1.44MB
    Average Access Time: 94 ms
    Interface: 34 Pin Standard Floppy Connector
    Form: 3.5 inch
    Media Type: All Standard 1.44MB & 720KB 3.5 Floppy Diskettes
    Features: High Quality and Reliability
    Packaging: OEM
    $10

Crucial DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Non-parity • DDR400 • 2.6V • 32Meg x 64
    256MB X 2
    $100

Now the thing about the case and the powersupply. I dunno if I should just buy a case with the powersupply or buy them separately. The case doesn't have to look amazing, but I would like it to look good. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The total price without the Case and powersupply is $674. I would like the powersupply and case to be like $50....

If someone has better suggestions about the products i selected, maybe a little cheaper, or a better product but same abilities, PLEASE tell me. I'm ok with computers but I'm not too good so please help me. I would like this to be a reliable computer and it won't be overclocked.

Also, I have thought about AMD processor, but I have never used one. So unless majority of the people say AMD is better, faster(or equal), and more reliable, I think I'll probably stick with the Pentium 4.

Thank you VERY much for reading this long post and helping me figure out the best system. Also if anyone has any good deals on 15''(or 17'' if price is right) for $300, maybe a little over or a little less, please do tell me. THANK YOU AGAIN

I'll look for better prices once I'm 100% sure about all the products, but i dont think it'll get much better than this.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I wouldn't say amd is more reliable. same reliability, IMO.
    AMD is more bang for your buck though, for half the price of the pentium 4 you could buy an athlon 2500+ and OC it to 3200+ speeds. It will be faster AND cheaper than the 2.8ghz P4.

With the money you save, more ram, or maybe better heatsink than teh stock one could be bought. although the stock heatsink that comes with the 2500+ is already capacble of cooling the processor very well when OCed to 3200+.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    but i dun wanna take the risks of overclock especially since i've never done it. And i dunno HOW to do it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    well u can build a very fast AMD system for much less..
    u should look into:

AMD Athlon XP2500+ barton processor
    Asus A7N8X motherboard

just switch for motherboard and processor u chose for the ones above and your set for a very good AMD system. should be MUCH cheaper to (maybe $100+ difference) and u wont really notice a difference between the 2 processors unless u benchmarj them.

oh and also get a seagate harddrive instead of a maxtor hard drive. Seagate is very quiet and reliable. Western digital is very reliable also but ive heard some stories about them having loud drives (i currently have a 40gb Western digital and it isnt loud at all).

but yes go with AMD, u might even be able to build a very FAST Athlon 64 system for $1000.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@1 July 2004 - 21:29
    but i dun wanna take the risks of overclock especially since i've never done it. And i dunno HOW to do it.
    well, even without the OC, the porcessors are already very close to same performance...( )

wait im gonna find some benchmarks....

edit: can't find any, not too sure what to search for.

anyway, if you go with a amd athlon xp 2800+ it will be around same performace as the 2.8ghz p4, so i would go with that, cheaper.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i have a seagate in my current computer and love it. I was gonna go for it and i saw an 80 GB for $65, but it had 2mb cache. Dunno what it means but I thought it was bad. Also will the AMD you chose for me be as reliable and pretty much be the same thing and speed as the intel? Wouldn't want any problems. btw, you guys are fast....thats why i love posting here
    -------------------------------------------------
    edit - i found the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" for almost $100 cheaper.
    but howcome the front side bus and frequency are so much lower? doesnt this mean they're slower? i need to learn more about computers

Model: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    Core: Barton
    Operating Frequency: 1.83GHz
    FSB: 333MHz
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
    Voltage: 1.65V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket A
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
    Packaging: Retail Box (Heatsink and Fan included)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@1 July 2004 - 21:32
    i have a seagate in my current computer and love it. I was gonna go for it and i saw an 80 GB for $65, but it had 2mb cache. Dunno what it means but I thought it was bad. Also will the AMD you chose for me be as reliable and pretty much be the same thing and speed as the intel? Wouldn't want any problems. btw, you guys are fast....thats why i love posting here
    ya same reliability.

I would go for seagate, i love them too.

2mb cahce is slower than a drive with 8mb cache, obviously. lol. If i was to buy a drive, main things i would be looking for are 8mb cache, 7200rpm, ide, and over 80gb. oh and it must be seagate.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i found a seagate i want for 75. But what does it mean when it says "requires additional power adapter".

Average Seek Time: 8.5 ms
    Interface: Serial ATA
    Features: 3D Defense System
    Packaging: OEM, Requires additional Power adapter

Roscoe please look at my edit on my last post, THX!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    GHZ don't mean anything anymore. The amd chips can processor more info per cycle, so they do same work as a p4 but with slower clock speed (GHZ).

This probably makes no sense, but oh well, basically im saying it is just as fast and a slower speed.

edit: removed what i said about the hard drive, just noticed it is sata (thanks to clocker lol).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@1 July 2004 - 19:38
    i found a seagate i want for 75. But what does it mean when it says "requires additional power adapter".

Average Seek Time: 8.5 ms
    Interface: Serial ATA
    Features: 3D Defense System
    Packaging: OEM, Requires additional Power adapter

Roscoe please look at my edit on my last post, THX!
    It's a SATA drive.
    It takes a different power connector and a different interface with the motherboard, which must support it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast