Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour De France

jetje's Avatar former star
    Well yesterday it started with a the prologue... Will Armstrong win his historical 6th time? that will be the great questionmark in this years race. I think it's in the advantage of the true climbers the mountains will be in the last two weeks of this years race. Therefor i think a better climber then Armstrong will win this years tour.

Do you follow it and who are your favorites?

my list: of the top 10 of this tour:
    yellow (overall time)
    01 Mayo
    02 Ullrich
    03 Tyler Hamilton
    04 Lance Armstrong
    05 Roberto Heras
    06 Denis Menchov
    07 Oscar pereiro
    08 Georg Totschnig
    09 Ivan Basso
    10 Francesco Mancebo

In sprinting, Allesandro Pettachi will be hard to beat, the competition will come from Baden Cooke, Thor Hushovd, Robbie McEwen. Outsiders in the sprints will be
    Jean Patric Nazon, Tom Boonen Bernhard eisel, Stuart o'grady, Erik Zabel and allan Davis... And you never know what Mario Cippolini will do this Tour

Mountains will be the domain of the Spanish riders, Iban Mayo, Francesco Mancebo, Oscar Sevilla,Oscar Pereiro, Igor de Gozalez galdeano, Roberto Heras and Haimar Zubeldia.
    Other climbers that can compete well there are ofcourse Ullrich, Armstrong, Hamilton, Simoni, Basso and Menchov. Alway wandering when the polka dot yearsey that seem to belong to frenchman Richard Virenque (6 times winner of it) will change to another rider. I think Virenque isn't strong enough this year to compete well for that, but with his character you'll never know.

Overall i think it will be a very interesting 4 weeks!

2. Lounge   -   #2
    I agree with you that I think it's one of the toughest sporting events on the planet!
    I think that Armstrong WILL create history and become the first six times winner in a row!

ps. By the way I think the Tour only lasts 3 weeks?? Maybe Im wrong??

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Yes its just 3 weeks. And i think its Ullrich time again. He has been 2nd 5 times!!!!
    Armstrong is the favourite, but this year he wont have Heras or Hamilton in his team.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    yeah ofcourse three weeks... don't know why i put up 4...

Yesterday the old fox Kirsipuu surprised the complete sprint elite to beat them all in the sprint. McEwen took a gamble and was taking the wheel of the big favorite Pettachi.. Although he probably was the fastest sprinter, because of the wrong gamble he came a few inches short to win the 1st stage.

Image Resized
    [img]http://img18.exs.cx/img18/4546/tdfstage1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by jetje@5 July 2004 - 09:27
    yeah ofcourse three weeks... don't know why i put up 4...

Yesterday the old fox Kirsipuu surprised the complete sprint elite to beat them all in the sprint. McEwen took a gamble and was taking the wheel of the big favorite Pettachi.. Although he probably was the fastest sprinter, because of the wrong gamble he came a few inches short to win the 1st stage.

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img18.exs.cx/img18/4546/tdfstage1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    Nice post Jetje!!

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Australia's Robbie McEwen took stage two of the Tour de France after winning a mass sprint finish in Namur.
    The Lotto rider comfortably beat Thor Hushovd to the line at the end of the 197km trek from Charleroi but the 12 second time bonus for second position gave the Norwegian rider the yellow jersey.
    Six riders, including Ireland's Mark Scanlon, attacked at the 10km mark and built up a maximum lead of five minutes before being hauled back by the peloton with just over 20km to go.
    Alessandro Petacchi's Fasso Bortolo team then maintained a fast pace to ensure a collective charge to the line which saw Jimmy Casper and Kurt-Asle Arvesen come down, thankfully unhurt, on a sweeping left-hand turn 200m from the line.
    However Gian Matteo Fagnini, Mario Cipollini's chief lead-out rider for the Domina Vacanze team, was forced to abandon the tour after fracturing his collarbone in an earlier crash.
    It was McEwen's fourth stage win in the Tour and he dedicated the victory to former team-mate Steve Vermaut who suffered a heart attack last month and after several weeks in an artificial coma, lost his life on Wednesday.
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img13.exs.cx/img13/1466/tdfstage2Amcewen.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Image Resized
    [img]http://img7.exs.cx/img7/1093/tdfstage2.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

7. Lounge   -   #7
    A tough day out there, the tour drove from Belgian place Waterloo to Wasquehal france. The stage was 210 km, the distance wasn't as hard as the cobblestones roads the drivers had to take...
    It was a hard day, some guys did fell hard on the cobblestones and top-five contenders like Mayo, his teammate Haimar Zubeldia (both Euskatel), last year's best young rider, Russian Denis Menchov (Illes Balears) and Frenchman Christophe Moreau (Credít Agricole)were the big loosers this day. They lost 4 minutes time for the overall standing, it will be very hard for them now to reach the podium, although i still believe Mayo is the strongest driver in this Tour!
    Other losers were Norwegian driver Thor Hushovdt, who lost his yelow jearsey and saw his opponents competing for the green jearsey (Points&#33 gather a lot of points without him being able to compete.

Biggest loser of the day was Marco Velo, the italian driver broke the keybone in his shoulder and is out of the race!

Image Resized
    [img]http://img19.exs.cx/img19/2629/tdfstage3Nazon.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

8. Lounge   -   #8
    I know nothing about this sport apart from I use to have a boss who kept going on about how Lance Armstrong rules so that's my vote

9. Lounge   -   #9
    After stage four (Wednesday 7th) .... Armstrong now takes the lead!!

Will he hold it??
    Only time will tell.....

10. Lounge   -   #10
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    yes, agreed, definately the toughest. although I know none of the racers I've watched it a couple of times and it quite brutal.
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast