Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oem Bare Drive Instalation

Poster
    With regard to the drive being identified. Go into your BIOS, please post if you donīt know how to do this and someone will tell you how. Then set up your ide chanells to auto-detect at startup. For all ide devices.

I would just try putting the drive in as discussed earlier, with the appropriate jumper settings. There is every chance that the BIOS is already set-up for autodetect.

Once again Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    I have my drive in hand.

now on the front or back of it their is a side of pins. on has a plastic guard on it. Written on the bottom of it near that guard it say

CS below that it says Slave and below that master.

How do i set the drive to slave? pulling out the plastic thing over CS and putting it down over the slave option?

thanks for any help.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    follow up question.

do i have to screw in this drive.. or is putting it on its shelf good enough?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by healimonster@26 March 2003 - 21:30
    I have my drive in hand.

now on the front or back of it their is a side of pins. on has a plastic guard on it. Written on the bottom of it near that guard it say

How do i set the drive to slave? pulling out the plastic thing over CS and putting it down over the slave option?

thanks for any help.
    Put the plastic thing (jumper) over the pins marked slave and it will make the drive a slave. Remember it will have to be on the same chanell as a master.

Yes it should be secured. It will spin at over 5,000 rpm or maybe over 7,000 rpm so it should be securely screwed in.

Good luck, keep us up to date on progress.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    healimonster Posted on 26 March 2003 - 15:30
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have my drive in hand.

thanks for any help.
    for your curiousity cs stands for cable select and the plastic thing is the jumper good luck.. Oh and don't forget to ground yourself by holding on to your case or using a proper grounding strap computer devices hate static B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by JmiF@26 March 2003 - 21:36

Remember it will have to be on the same chanell as a master.

what does that mean?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by healimonster+26 March 2003 - 21:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (healimonster @ 26 March 2003 - 21:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@26 March 2003 - 21:36

Remember it will have to be on the same chanell as a master.

what does that mean? [/b][/quote]
    The thick grey cable which plugs into the motherboard and the back of the hdd is an ide connector. You will have to use the same one which connects to your main hdd (master) that you plug into this one. That way you will have a master and slave on the same channel.

If you connect your new drive directly to the mother board, on it&#39;s own, it will also have to be a master.

There is a primary and secondary chanell. Each can have up to two devices. Primary master and slave. Secondary master and slave. One drive on each must be a master.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    JmiF Posted on 26 March 2003 - 16:09 There is a primary and secondary chanell. Each can have up to two devices. Primary master and slave. Secondary master and slave. One drive on each must be a master.
    the secondary could be cdrom , cdrw,dvdrom etc..

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by accat13@26 March 2003 - 22:21
    JmiF Posted on 26 March 2003 - 16:09 There is a primary and secondary chanell. Each can have up to two devices. Primary master and slave. Secondary master and slave. One drive on each must be a master.
    the secondary could be cdrom , cdrw,dvdrom etc..
    Of couse it could. I didn&#39;t say or imply it couldn&#39;t be. I was simply explaining how his new hdd could be connected. Particularly that if he was setting it as a slave then it must be on the same chanell as a master.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    this is where I am at.

I physically installed the drive... near where the empty bay was there was a hanging cable that attached to my master drive, had an empty multi pin plug that fit my new drive, and then went onto the mother board.

i also plugged in the power thing.

turned on my computer and my bios recognized new settings or something.

my 20 gig drive
    my 80 gig drive
    and my cdrw

in that order, it gave me the option to save settings, i did.

windows XP started up, shortly there after it detected new hardware in one of those bubbles. I clicked it... and nothing happend...

shortly there after another bubble popped up and stated new hard drive detected.

I went to "my computer", and it looked the same.. the c-drive was my normal hard drive with 20 gig. d-drive was my motherboard crap. and nothing else.

I went to "add new hardware" on the control panel and selected my 80 gig drive and it stated it was working properly.

What do i need to do to get my new drive to appear? How do i format it?

Note:I restarted my computer again and got no new results.

A side question:
    when I click on my C-drive from my computer there are the folders there, and then 100s of 1k files called
    CA0A.IDX
    CA2E.IDX
    STDA.IDX
    what are they? Can I delete them and where do they come from. It seems like the list gets longer every time I look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast