Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Know How To Set Up Those Proxies

On the top right hand of this board is a proxy option, how can I set up my computer to use one of these? Does anyone know? And is willing to share that information!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    you cannot configure your computer to use a proxy en masse, at least I dont know of a way. but you can configure each application that accesses the internet to use a proxy, for example:

in windows media player, hit tools >> options >> network >> hilite http >> configure >> dot the "use following proxy server" radio button >> put the proxy address in the proxy box and the port number in the port box*

* 219.32.981.90:80 proxy address before semi colon, port number after

All other apps that access the net will have a similar facility where you can enter a proxy.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by manker@4 July 2004 - 23:42
    you cannot configure your computer to use a proxy en masse, at least I dont know of a way. but you can configure each application that accesses the internet to use a proxy, for example:

in windows media player, hit tools >> options >> network >> hilite http >> configure >> dot the "use following proxy server" radio button >> put the proxy address in the proxy box and the port number in the port box*

All other apps that access the net will have a similar facility where you can enter a proxy.
    Cheers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Liam100@4 July 2004 - 23:20
    On the top right hand of this board is a proxy option, how can I set up my computer to use one of these? Does anyone know? And is willing to share that information!
    just as a point of interest Ad Muncher has a IP scramble feature for web surfing. where it uses a different proxy for each website visited

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by manker@4 July 2004 - 23:42

On my internet connection is that how I would set the ip address, Network -properties where it says obtain an ip address automatically i click the radio button Use the following Ip address?

Would this cause me problems with my internet provider? Cannot I keep my IP address and go via another proxy?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by Liam100+5 July 2004 - 01:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Liam100 @ 5 July 2004 - 01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@4 July 2004 - 23:42

* 219.32.981.90:80&nbsp; proxy address before semi colon, port number after

On my internet connection is that how I would set the ip address, Network -properties where it says obtain an ip address automatically i click the radio button Use the following Ip address?

Would this cause me problems with my internet provider? Cannot I keep my IP address and go via another proxy? [/b][/quote]
    I think you&#39;re getting a bit mixed up, your ISP sets your IP address, people use proxies to hide their IP address.

When you go to a website, that site sees your IP address, this is unique to you and you are traceable because of it. using a proxy hides this IP address so when you use a proxy, instead of the site seeing your IP address it sees the proxy address.

Using a proxy will not cause any problems with your ISP, think of a proxy as another server which your connection has to travel through before getting to it&#39;s destination (the website).
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by manker+5 July 2004 - 02:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 5 July 2004 - 02:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Liam100@5 July 2004 - 01:37
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker
    @4 July 2004 - 23:42

Would this cause me problems with my internet provider? Cannot I keep my IP address and go via another proxy?
    I think you&#39;re getting a bit mixed up, your ISP sets your IP address, people use proxies to hide their IP address.

When you go to a website, that site sees your IP address, this is unique to you and you are traceable because of it. using a proxy hides this IP address so when you use a proxy, instead of the site seeing your IP address it sees the proxy address.

Using a proxy will not cause any problems with your ISP, think of a proxy as another server which your connection has to travel through before getting to it&#39;s destination (the website). [/b][/quote]
    Cheers again and excellently explained, one last question how would I set up a proxy on my internet connection? This probably seems a silly question but why would I set up a proxy for windows media player?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    some intranets (private internal networks) use a proxy server for all their public traffic. Usually only inside schools, corporate networks, etc.
    So those settings are there in other apps in case you need them.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by Liam100+5 July 2004 - 07:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Liam100 &#064; 5 July 2004 - 07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by manker@5 July 2004 - 02:08
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker

Using a proxy will not cause any problems with your ISP, think of a proxy as another server which your connection has to travel through before getting to it&#39;s destination (the website).
    Cheers again and excellently explained, one last question how would I set up a proxy on my internet connection? This probably seems a silly question but why would I set up a proxy for windows media player? [/b][/quote]
    You might use a proxy in your media player because you may be using it in conjunction with your browser which is using a proxy. e.g say you&#39;re a paid up member of some website, you&#39;re browsing it in IE with a proxy and you want to see some vids, if you connected through media player with your own IP and not the proxys IP that site would see 2 different IPs connecting at the same time and ban you. sticking the proxy in MP would guard against this.

I don&#39;t know what browser you use but this is how you set up a proxy in MyIE2 (also IE6)

Options/tools >> internet options >> connections >> hilite your connection in the window and hit "settings" >> check the "use a proxy for this connection" box >> enter proxy and port in the appropriate boxes >> click OK >> click OK

It&#39;s much the same with other browsers too

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by manker+5 July 2004 - 10:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 5 July 2004 - 10:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Liam100@5 July 2004 - 07:13
    Originally posted by manker@5 July 2004 - 02:08
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker

Cheers again and excellently explained, one last question how would I set up a proxy on my internet connection? This probably seems a silly question but why would I set up a proxy for windows media player?
    You might use a proxy in your media player because you may be using it in conjunction with your browser which is using a proxy. e.g say you&#39;re a paid up member of some website, you&#39;re browsing it in IE with a proxy and you want to see some vids, if you connected through media player with your own IP and not the proxys IP that site would see 2 different IPs connecting at the same time and ban you. sticking the proxy in MP would guard against this.

I don&#39;t know what browser you use but this is how you set up a proxy in MyIE2 (also IE6)

Options/tools >> internet options >> connections >> hilite your connection in the window and hit "settings" >> check the "use a proxy for this connection" box >> enter proxy and port in the appropriate boxes >> click OK >> click OK

It&#39;s much the same with other browsers too [/b][/quote]
    Again excellent answer and that it youve answered everything very much appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast