Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Pop-up Blockers

Hey, i have a lot of toolbars and most of them seem to have pop-up blockers.

Are pop-up blockers like anti-virus software, in that you should only run one of them at a time?

Because i know people say if you have 2 anti-virus programs, viruses can slip through easier. Does having multiple pop-up blockers increase pop-up protection, or cause confusion?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    possibly, but why have so many toolbars??
    if your using IE, just get Google Toolbar and it will do everything you need. without the spyware that you probably have gotten from all those other toolbars
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    there is no spyware on my machine.

I have all these toolbars because i like them.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    ha ha

I have to laugh 'cause most toolbars(including Google) are considered spyware...

regards,

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by harrycary@5 July 2004 - 13:50
    ha ha

I have to laugh 'cause most toolbars(including Google) are considered spyware...

regards,
    there are a lot of toolbars which contain spyware, the google toolbar definitely isn't one of them though. also as far as free pop-up blockers go, it's among the best

edit: also in response to the original question, pop-up blockers aren't like AVs, you can use as many as you like but usually one is sufficient
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by harrycary@5 July 2004 - 05:50
    ha ha

regards,
    did you ever tried google toolbar?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    the google toolbar is supposedly spyware only if you use the page rank feature.

as for the other toolbars, it&#39;s hard to say without knowing what they are B)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    msn and yahoo toolbar are not spyware.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    To help determine a site&#39;s Yahoo&#33; Web Rank value, the Yahoo&#33; Companion Toolbar collects anonymous URL data about sites visited by Toolbar users who have enabled the Yahoo&#33; Web Rank feature and sends this information back to Yahoo&#33;. The Toolbar does not collect personally identifiable information about you (e.g., your name, phone number, email address, etc.).

so, very similar to google&#39;s policy.

an interesting read

Here&#39;s how the Customer Experience Improvement Program works:

* When installing software that is part of the program (such as the MSN Toolbar), you will be asked if you want to join the program. If you join, the Customer Experience Improvement Program runs on your computer, without interfering with your tasks or how your computer functions.
    * During computing sessions, small amounts of information about how you use your computer are sent to Microsoft, to be analyzed for aggregate trends and usage patterns. This information is then used to improve the quality of Microsoft products and to respond to the needs of our customers. Aside from joining the program, you do not need to do anything else.
    * The information collected by the Customer Experience Improvement Program is completely anonymous. It cannot be traced back to you and it does not contain any personal information (such as your name or location). Microsoft does not share the data collected with other companies, and the Customer Experience Improvement Program is not an advertising campaign.
    * You can join or leave the Customer Experience Improvement Program at any time.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Toolbars suck. I don`t like them. Use Ad Muncher. Blocks all the "bad" pop ups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast