Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Down My Pc

Poster
    Ok, i modded my PC some time ago and everything is fine BUT, the PC makes way to much noise, if i leave it on at night, you can hear the fans in the second floor, i have 3 Fans, One in the side door, one in the top of the case and the other one in the back, can someone tell me how can i quiet down on the cheap, i cant afford watercooling or buying new fans, so is there a way to fix this without spending too much money, thank you.. B)

Here is a pic of my PC...

Image Resized
    [img]http://www.iespana.es/Planet-Z/Cygnuz/CYGpc.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Best way it to volt mod the fans to 7v.
    I still haven't done it yet with my new case, been to lazy.
    So it is really loud right now.

To volt mod the fans you gotta somehow (find your own way, mine is to just cut teh wires of the power supply and fan lol) connect teh yellow of power supply and red wire of the fan together, and attach teh black wire on the fan to the red wire on power supply.*

More things to do are:
    • Buy or make an 80mm to 60mm fan adapotr and attach an 80mm fan to your heatsink.
    • Buy some of that mat stuff that absorbs the sound in your case.
    • Take out some fans from the case.
    • Put washers or something rubbery between the fans, power supply, hard drive, and anything else that vibrates, to the case, so it doesn't get echoed as much.
    • There are others you could probably think of. Have a look around your case and find what the loudest "thing" is. Then think of a way that noise can be removed.

Good Luck!

*-By "on power supply" i mean the molex connector.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@5 July 2004 - 19:52
    Best way it to volt mod the fans to 7v.
    I still haven't done it yet with my new case, been to lazy.
    So it is really loud right now.

To volt mod the fans you gotta somehow (find your own way, mine is to just cut teh wires of the power supply and fan lol) connect teh yellow of power supply and red wire of the fan together, and attach teh black wire on the fan to the red wire on power supply.*

More things to do are:
    • Buy or make an 80mm to 60mm fan adapotr and attach an 80mm fan to your heatsink.

• Buy some of that mat stuff that absorbs the sound in your case.

• Take out some fans from the case.

• Put washers or something rubbery between the fans, power supply, hard drive, and anything else that vibrates, to the case, so it doesn't get echoed as much.

• There are others you could probably think of. Have a look around your case and find what the loudest "thing" is. Then think of a way that noise can be removed.

Good Luck!

*-By "on power supply" i mean the molex connector.

That sounds good, im gonna try that...

[*]Buy some of that mat stuff that absorbs the sound in your case.
    About the mat stuff, i live in a 3rd world country, so icant find that kind of stuff here, any way i can make it myself?

[*]Take out some fans from the case.
    Maybe i will take out the one in the back...

[*]Put washers or something rubbery between the fans, power supply, hard drive, and anything else that vibrates, to the case, so it doesn't get echoed as much.
    What about putting some piece of clothes between the screws and the case?

[*]There are others you could probably think of. Have a look around your case and find what the loudest "thing" is. Then think of a way that noise can be removed.
    The loudest thing is everything together, if i leave only 1 fan it is ok, but then i start to get problems with heat, cuz my PC is in a very closed space and the PC gets very hot, more if i play games...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    but remember, by doing the 7v mod on your fans you will lose a fair amount of airflow because the fans are running on less power, and are therefore spinning slower.
    I have my fans hooked up to a fan controller so I can choose when I want cooling power or silence and adjust the fans accordingly.

Roscco suggested the most commonly done things already, but I'll add to cut out any fan grills you have in your case. You'll find the most restrictive ones are on the back panel and probably your front intake ones as well. Remove your front bezel and cut out the grills. This maximizes airflow while removing the sound of air getting pushed through those tiny restrictive holes.

Good Luck
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    put foam on the edges of the panels

_
    .]
    .]#[
    .]#[
    .....[
    .....[

foam
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by MicroScreen2@5 July 2004 - 16:21
    _
    .]
    .]#[
    .]#[
    .....[
    .....[
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    OK, thanks for the help, im gonna try all that...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Cygnuz&#045;Y@5 July 2004 - 16:56
    OK, thanks for the help, im gonna try all that...
    Alright, let us now how it goes.
    and if you do any serious mods, be sure to put up some pics as well

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    My temps before doing what i will say in a second were around what i have in my sig. Same for motherboard as well.
    I have: (all fans, unless otherwise stated, are 80mm)
    1 intake on case floor blowing half air onto my hard drive&#092;half the air goes up toward the video card&#092;motherboard&#092;cpu area.
    1 exhaust fan at back of case under my power supply
    1 120mm exhaust rooftop fan
    2 fans in my power supply running at very slow speeds
    1 side intake fan blowing right onto the heatsink
    1 60mm HSF (stock heatsink and fan)

Today, since i posted my first post in this thread, cleaned up the wires around my hard drive a little, and volt moddded all fans except for the 120mm, the HSF, and the PSU fans.

It is now much quieter

Temps are currently 33cidle for my cpu&#33; and 30 for my case (motherboard). Doesn&#39;t make much sense for CPU temp to be lower now, i guess it will take a while to heat up or something...

So my PC is now very very quiet, im happy, soon my 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor should arrive from the drop shipper (I HOPE) and then I will be attaching an 80mm fan to my heatsink and taking out the 60mm fan. The loudest thing in my comp, and soon to be replaced, is my hard drive.

I&#39;m also thinking of getting some of that mat stuff that absorbs the sound (can someone tell me what it is called?) and will be experimenting a lot with the fan placement, also gotta cut out my fan grills, they are very very restrictive...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    edited for Rossco&#39;s sake
    poor boy has a fantasy with nsync

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast