Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argh Computers Reallly Hott

so im playing need for speed and it starts lagging....so i go to the asus probe watcher thing and it says my PCU is 57© degrees....i think thats pretty hot because normally its around 40(or is this the normal temperature and im stupid?)....and the case was 98(F) degrees....i have 2 fans on the case...1 on the side and 1 on the top, both are exhaust....so i thought id try to switch the side fan to blow air into the cpu....then i open up the case and i feel the cpu fan....it feels like the fan isnt working, i can bareelly feel the air coming out of it...is this normal? in the Asus probe it says the cpu fan is going 2700 RPM....and switching the fan didnt really help either....so now i have the side of the case open and the case is 99(F) degrees and the cpu is 54.....i havent checked my cpu temp before when i was playing games......so i dunno what it was like before....and lately my computer has been acting slow and laggy for some reason...could this be it?? should i get 2 extra case fans?? or a new cpu fan?? or somehow the power supply? im still using the crappy powersupply that came with the xdreamer case($55)... thx

i have a 2.8c ghz P4 HT....1 gig of ram...radeon 9600...seagate 120 gb hdd....asus p4c800e-deluxue motherboard(something like this)....

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Temperature won't affect performance.

That temp is alright. Definately nothing to loose sleep over. But you might want to try to get it lower just for the sake of it (that and it is summer time and the cpu will heat your room [actually maybe it is so hot because it is summer?] which is something i hate).

Did the temp lower or raise when you flipped around that side fan?

Another thing you may want to do is to buy some Arctic Silver 5 and apply it to your CPU core (after removing the old thermal pad thoroughly) and then re-apply the heatsink. Should help your temps quite a bit.

edit: Oh ya, to fix lagginess...if you have norton, that is most likely the cause of the lag lol. Try NOD32 if this is teh case.

If not then try looking at my pinned guide (link in sig) at the msconfig, services.msc, and defragmenting sections, as well as followiing and scanning for spyware and viruses.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    so this is...normal?? i think switching the fan actually made it worse....but why dont i feel the air coming from the cpu fan??? i felt almost nothing....but the fan was definitely rotating..should i get some new fans?? and i should probably change the psu in order to not blow up my comp maybe....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Those temps won't damage your cpu, in fact it is almost impossible with a P4.

However, Rossco may be wrong about it not causing the "lagging", the temp you report is just about the threshold at which the cpu starts throttling back in order to prevent heat damage.

Try cleaning the fins on your cpu heatsink and all the fan blades, this can make quite a difference. The cpu fan usually blows air towards the heatsink, so it is quite normal that you don't feel much airflow. That said, if you've got the standard 60mm fan then 2700 rpm doesn't sound all that fast. Try turning off Q-Fan (in the bios) and see if that has any effect.

BTW, are you sure that's your case temp? It is more likely that's your mobo temp.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Depending on how accurate your case temp is ( is it hardware reported or software?) then the CPU being 20C over is not bad at all.

Are you intentionally mixing acronyms or just confused?
    So far we have "PCU", "PSU" and "CPU".

Are we concerned about them all?
    If so, why not the "ACLU" also?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    PCU = CPU...i had 4 hours of sleep...i was tired.....hm...ill try that q-fan thing when i restart my comp....imma get some sleep and clean out all this dust in my computer....

and i guess its software...it was on the cd that came with the motherboard...Asus Probe....hrm....the case temp is from the temp. LCD thing on the case

cpu's now 41 degrees since im just web browsing....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@6 July 2004 - 04:32
    However, Rossco may be wrong about it not causing the "lagging", the temp you report is just about the threshold at which the cpu starts throttling back in order to prevent heat damage.
    Oops, didn't notice it was a Pentium 4.

In that case, download a program called (i think) CPU-Z (?) and it monitors the processor speed. Play a game for about 10\20 minutes then alt-tab out of it and see what the program is reporting your clock speed at.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ok i cleaned out my case(there was alot of dust trapped in the heatsink)...and tested again....so while i was web browsing....my case was 95(F), cpu was 38( C), MB was about 32, and my core speed was maybe 2798.8 MHz....after about 25 min of playing the game, my case is 104(F), cpu is 52( C), MB is 41( C), but the core speed stayed about the same (2798.6 MHz)

cleaning the computer helped alot....should i be comfortable at these temperatures? it went down significantly....

oh by the way, my rooms pretty hot right now...probably something like 80 degrees

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well, is your game still lagging?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    not much its pretty good....hmm let me ask you a question so i dont have to start another thread....do i need to get a new PSU?? i have a 350 watt that came with my $55 case and ive been using it for 6 months...my computers been fine no problems...do you think i need a new one?? what could happen if i dont??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast