Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning Guitar....

Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Thanks for the Eruption. Look at the size of her hands man....

Yeah, i think most of the old Jimmy hendrix live recordingd are horrible
    because he was mostly so out of tune, nothing wrong with the songs or
    perfomance, but the tuning....

I've noticed myself playing out of tune at live gigs too,
    i think sometimes it has little to do with monitoring too,
    one needs to hear himself. Maybe the overall noice in concerts, audience etc.
    might do no good on it too, difficult to hear hows the tuning.
    Not everyone can afford the In-Ear monitoring system.
    (plus the beers imo dont help at all...)

PreStretch the strings on guitars Well before the gig,
    prevents them going off a little.

Nowadays its easy to use a small tuner, makes a huuge difference.
    Its easy to check out the tuning after every song.

There is one other thing about it too.
    You can have a guitar in tune, and keep bending the note Over or Under,
    Kirk Hammet playing Live gigs is perfect example.
    Its horrible when you are semi-note off.

Spoiler: Show

2. Music   -   #12
    Turkishjade...who's the artist? I can't read the rolling marquee in the vid.
    I think i'll give up now...no sense in becoming that 'sloppy'

Great tips ya'll

Kiaweiler,
    what do you mean, when you say?
    "Damn, learning to play guitar is one thing I wish I had of done... "
    Did your hands fall off? (gawd, I hope not or that joke is gonna be really rude)

here's an article for ya "Never To Old To Learn"

3. Music   -   #13
    Turkishjade's Avatar Gunny
    Justin King. Another video here. I envy his talent, but let's face it, he is a little sloppy. :music1:

All you guitar guys out there:

Remember when we wanted to play like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai? Remember how we used to buy all of their albums even though we didn't really like the music? Remember the scale books? Remember working for a month trying to get the guitar duel scene from the movie Crossroads just right? Remember thinking that you would play so much better if you could just get that $2500 Les Paul? Remember subscribing to every guitar magazine in print? Remember your first rejection at a Band casting call?

Ahh, good times.

4. Music   -   #14
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Originally posted by Turkishjade@7 July 2004 - 18:05
    Justin King. Another video here. I envy his talent, but let's face it, he is a little sloppy. :music1:

All you guitar guys out there:

Remember when we wanted to play like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai? Remember how we used to buy all of their albums even though we didn't really like the music? Remember the scale books? Remember working for a month trying to get the guitar duel scene from the movie Crossroads just right? Remember thinking that you would play so much better if you could just get that $2500 Les Paul? Remember subscribing to every guitar magazine in print? Remember your first rejection at a Band casting call?

Ahh, good times.
    Speak for yourself dude,
    I still dig Vai, Satriani and Malmsteen...
    That will never wear out off me.

Magazines, damn they was expensive, lol.
    And yeah, i got lotsa books, not just eBooks.

I never didnt jump on the Stratocaster/LesPaul band-wagon thought,
    I thought htere's enough ppl using those guitar (fine guitars btw)

Got me and Ibanez Jem aroung -86 it was, plus some more guitars later on.
    I do like the Ibanez guitars, but i also have Gretsch for that Swingy Rockabilly stuff,
    plus other guitar-gear,. Its amazing how they collect on the corners...
    Motto is; Never sell any gear, you Will miss it if you do.

I've been living on small towns, hangin on small social circles,
    so i've yet to be rejected as i've never really took those Audition sessions,
    there aint any around here.
    Who knows, maybe i've been rejected but didnt hear about it,
    is it like "Dont call us We call you" kinda situations?

(I've been playing on numerous little bands
    and projects tho. )

5. Music   -   #15
    You know, I always liked Gilbert above Malmsteen because he didn't limit his riffs to classical music. (( BTW, buckethead is the new malmsteen )) As far as Satriani and Vai, they really are interchangeable (didn't Satch teach Vai or vice versa?)

But then again, I forgot Vai has that Zappa connection.......hmmm......

You know, on second thought, fuck it: they do still rock. Got to go get my Surfin the Alien album out. :music1:

I know what you mean about Ibanez. I've got all of their mini pedals and I have an original 777 (scalloped), and a new MMM. Both rawk! I've played Kramers, Fenders, PRSs and Peavys, but I will always fall back on to Ibanez. And, I admit it, I have never ever touched a Les Paul.... (I Don't know any one rich enough. )

6. Music   -   #16
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Originally posted by Turkishjade@7 July 2004 - 19:24
    You know, I always liked Gilbert above Malmsteen because he didn't limit his riffs to classical music.  (( BTW, buckethead is the new malmsteen ))  As far as Satriani and Vai, they really are interchangeable (didn't Satch teach Vai or vice versa?) 

But then again, I forgot Vai has that Zappa connection.......hmmm......

You know, on second thought, fuck it: they do still rock.  Got to go get my Surfin the Alien album out.  :music1:

I know what you mean about Ibanez.  I've got all of their mini pedals and I have an original 777 (scalloped), and a new MMM.  Both rawk!  I've played Kramers, Fenders, PRSs and Peavys, but I will always fall back on to Ibanez.  And, I admit it, I have never ever touched a Les Paul.... (I Don't know any one rich enough.  )

Exactly ! Gibson guitars tend to be expensive,
    i guess a lot of it has to do if they build them LéPauls in USA,
    cost of labour etc... same goes with any US made guitars i think.

My very first guitar was a Really Bad LéPaul copy called Marchis (if i remember right)
    It sucked Elephant Dick but i didnt care that much about it way back then, he he,
    I sold it and got me a copy of SG-copy with some sorta Bigsby-thingie,
    I wanted a guitar with a whammy, it sucked really bad too, couldnt keep a tune no matter what,
    i was also like 13 or so, might have something to do with the "issues"
    Then my mom bought me that Framus, looks a bit like LesPaul, she got it off really cheap
    from a fellow player, something about 2-300$ I guess, today if you want to buy the ReIssue,
    it would set you back close to 4 grands. Talking about Expensive Guitars

My main guitar is Jem7RB.
    I got also UV777BK, AJ307CENT,
    Gretsch 6120-SSL and Framus Accerman Jubilee -74 original, them ReIssues came along couple of years a go I think
    , and a washburn N2 wich i did teh Scallope myself,
    lets just say that i wont be "experimenting" like that no more, lol, originally i wanted the
    Bill Lawrence L-500 mic but i couldnt find it i bought the N2 secondhand to get the mic.
    Very agressive mic btw, and the N2 is a good guitar but has bad parts,except the mics.
    Maybe someday i'll get me N4, that would be cool.

My main amp is 5150® 212 Combo which is perfect all aroundkinda amp for me, a bit Heavy to carry so
    I had to install handles on both ends.
    Also, i was lucky to get Fender Bassman The Blonde seconhand relativly cheap,
    it sounds great with Gresch/Framus and my
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, Rockabilly rules allright...

I had Marshall JCM800 stack but then sold the head and got me a Metaltronix M - 1000 head,
    which is rather funny sounding amp, he he, lotsa grit on yer face.

But basically these days i've been playing with the old trusty RootBeer and 5150,
    got Ibanez Tube-Screamer-808 before the signal goes to amp and thats just about all
    there is to it.
    That TS-808 is cool, i can get very smooth sound without playing extremely loud,
    it cuts off the Bass a lot thus the sound dont travel all over the building, making the living
    for my neighbours much easier, plus, having just a touch gain on the amp and running
    the signal hard in with the 808 gives teh funny "ooomphhhh", like a round sound....
    dam im hooked on it.

Yeah, i like Malmsteens first 4 albums, but then it got kinda tedious,
    Racer X is funny to listen also, but i prefer Gilberts solos over RX anyway.
    I also like Bettencourts playing a lot, i wonder what he's upto these days,
    he could make some more funky stuff.

I think it was Jose Satriani who gave dr. Vai some lessons way back then,
    not too many guys know that John Norum gave some lessons to Malmsteen also,
    Final Countdown anyone? Well, i could be wrong about that so
    dont take my word on it.
    Norum has some interesting Solo albums out too. I kinda like his way of playing too.

Also, i read somewhere Michael Schenker was giving lessons for
    measely 400$ per hour, but i guess maybe he just wanted to have some
    piece off from ppl and put ap a ridicilous price per hour.
    He he, lotsa funny hearsay going on, Hot damn Google is your friend.

Btw, im on SS so if you want any of these albums i mentioned,
    check the pinned and get busy.

7. Music   -   #17
    Hot damn! You have had and have a lot of equipment! Other than my 2 Ibanez axes, I once owned a Steinberger (the pre-Gibson kind with the transtrem bridge, no body and all graphite neck.) It was cool and the neck was amazingly fast, but it had no bottom end. My favorite band is Tool, so you can tell that I like a little heaviness in my music and I don't want to rely on EQ. I sold it after the first gig I took it to.

I'll never understand how an imported guitar with duties and taxes to be paid still comes out cheaper than a US product that just has to get on a truck. But hey, you can't beat a deal like an Ibanez. Nearly all of their models are worth twice what it costs! Oh, my 777 although my knobs aren't that color and my MMM

I have Peavy Triple X heads and cabinets. Before that, I used to just plug directly into the board at gigs ( everyone hated me, but I had a good DI box with Amp modelling on it back then, I think by TC, so I didn't care.)

That's it. 2 axes, 12 pedals, 2 heads, 4 cabs. That and a Roland VDrum kit. I wish I had more equipment, but I know how lazy I am, I would never bother to carry it to any gig.

I have all of the old guitar god albums (on vinyl ), but I still have a few good years left on my record player, so it's good. I've not tried SS though, I'll try to set that up.

I saw on VH1 Band ReUnited : Extreme, that Bettencourt run's some kind of farm. Dude, I shit you not, I think he's raising llamas or some shit like that for the wool. But he still looked good. Cherone was kind of a dick though.

You know, thinking back, if I was starting out and wanted to learn how to play guitar from any one of the guitar gods I used to listen to, I would want Tony Iommi. I mean, dude, he only had like 4 and a half fingers. Now that's talent!

8. Music   -   #18
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    That MMM looks nasty, what key you tune it?
    Its Baritone so i guess it goes maybe C or so?

And;

That's it. 2 axes, 12 pedals, 2 heads, 4 cabs. That and a Roland VDrum kit
    That is a lot of gear too... he he.

I dunno how old you are but i think that Tool kinda vibe wont last forever,
    eventually you will get interested in other type of music too,
    and maybe want yourself a Acoustic or something....

That Nuno, i think he got married and that's it.
    Sometimes that's all it takes to slow down a man for awhile.
    I hope he makes some records later tho. (not More Than Words type of stuff either)
    And wtf, Lamas? Hellooo....

As for Gary Cherone, he was on Van Halen for awhile when Sammy split,
    or did he got the boot, who knows, but now it seems Hagar is bag on VH and
    Eddie is done with the Tongue Cancer he had sometime ago so they
    are making a new album again, which is cool, as long as they steer
    the fuck away from that religious crap, pisses me off big time.
    I think Cherone can sure sing but i just dont like the voice, a bit too thin
    for my liking, should have more hair-in-the-chest-kinda-voice,
    maybe ask David Lee Roth for some tips, he he,...
    few bottles of Jack Daniels oughta help.

Tony Iommi is the Gran-Daddy of riffin', no doubt about that.
    lately i've been listenin a lot that Heaven and Hell song,
    really good riffs innit.
    But i think Django Reinhardt could p4wn Tony for in the Cripple Blues Festival anyday:
    ...Django created a whole new fingering system built around the two fingers on his left hand that had full mobility. His fourth and fifth digits of the left hand were permanently curled towards the palm due to the tendons shrinking from the heat of the fire. He could use them on the first two strings of the guitar for chords and octaves but complete extension of these fingers was impossible. His soloing was all done with the index and middle fingers!...
    ...that is, if he was still alive and my stupid joke about the festivities would take place.

Hows that about Gossip?

Man, dont get me started on Lars Johann Yngve Malmsteen,
    now there is a truly "difficult" guitarist, he chances bandmates like
    socks...

9. Music   -   #19
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    that is a NICE ibanez jem slinger B)

10. Music   -   #20
    Guitar Slinger: Actually drop D since all of my mental patterns are based on it. And at 33, I'm too set in my ways to do anything else. Between waiting to get called out to Iraq (maybe) and gambling, I don't want to have to think about a new tuning system right now. Switching between 6 strings(Steinberger) to 7 strings(777) to 6 strings(MMM) in my lifetime has used up whatever new pathways were possible in my nut.

As far as Tool loyalty goes, I admit, I like Tool for the Bass and Drum work. I'm a fan of the drummer. That's why I'll never get tired of it. The guitar stuff in Tool I do only when I get frustrated by a drum part I can't do. Plus, Maynard can sing his ass off. Listen to "46 and 2" from Aenima by Tool or "The Package" from Thirteen Steps by A Perfect Circle (Another one of Maynard's Bands) to see what I'm talking about.....and listen to the drums and bass and vocal before the guitar.

As far as a lot of equipment, weeelllll: I could fit it all (including the drum kit) in to the trunk and backseat of my car. That's got to count for something right?

I just talked to my current significant other and she corrected me. Gary is the one raising llamas and wasn't the deal breaker. Nuno was. He actually got pissed off a little in that episode and I got the feeling that he isn't doing well. Don't expect anything from him other than an obit. Seems that "More than Words" was a fluke, they wanted to be known as a hard band and that slow song becoming their "Hit" messed with all of the band members and made them split.

As far as Cherone, his voice had it's place, but you are right, the ONLY good singer in Van Halen was David Lee. I keep hearing "Drop Dead Legs" from 1984 playing in my head over and over again. Fuck, now I gotta bring that vinyl out too. Damn you Slinger!

Django is teh shit, no doubt. But I was disappointed when I bought the collection since all the songs were only 2 minutes or so each. Considering his music was supposed to be "dance" music back then, 2 minutes seems kinda short. But given he only had 2 good frettin fingers, I guess it was a matter of endurance. Doesn't matter, I probably couldn't get the feel right anyway. (This coming from someone who studied Paginini(sp?) in order to learn the Crossroads duel, and still thinks he would be to hard to learn )

Oh, and as far as an acoustic is concerned, I like 12's on my axe, I shudder to think what guage I would want on an acoustic. I remember someone telling me that to get the feel I want, I might damage the neck. Any advice? I want to use higher guage strings without screwing up the action ( I like it in the middle, not high )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast