Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning Guitar....

I want to learn guitar, can anyone recommend songs to start learning and something fairly difficult to work towards - errr, preferably songs that don't need the B string because the head's broken and i can't tune it

2. Music   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Play any song you like,
    try different positions to get that note what is in the B string.

Imagine during the concert, one string snaps off, and youll have to play the Melody line etc.

Its very handy to know the different positions on the neck.
    Same notes can be found all over the neck.

ps. with floating Vibrato (like Floyd Rose), the whole tuning gets kinda Out, so these Position chances dont help you much, but it does make youthink differently about how to play certain things.
    Spoiler: Show

3. Music   -   #3
    no offense to Guitar Slinger, but do you really think silly rumours would be able to "play anything you like" if he/she is asking for an easy song to learn?
    but the advise is sound for an intermediate or above...

Try this site silly rumours.....

guitar noise .com

4. Music   -   #4
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    No Pun taken here.

I dunno, it was over 20 years a go since I started playing.

I was merely trying to be general about what to do.
    Sort of like, "play what you know,but in different postition".
    With a 5-stringer, i always tend to just noodle anyways...

Dont have to learn a new song really, just take a closer look what you got allready.

I also did some research about web pages, didnt find too many i could agree
    on the methods and most of them requires to DL and install something, shareware etc.

For songs, frist songs i've learned i think was some x-mas tunes (a bit early for those)
    and then some basic 3-chord stuff, i was into 50's stuff then.
    Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Elvis Presley, Stray Cats etc...
    Those more or less Teh Basics for me.

If you use p2p, do a Search with a word Guitar and DL some pdf files,
    you may find some Guitar for beginners eBooks.

And, GuitarPro is definately out there, DL that and some Tabs for it.
    Is easy to use/learn songs with that app, i guess.

Nothing beats the Real Books tho.

5. Music   -   #5
    Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@6 July 2004 - 21:08
    No Pun taken here.

I dunno, it was over 20 years a go since I started playing.

I was merely trying to be general about what to do.
    Sort of like, "play what you know,but in different postition".
    With a 5-stringer, i always tend to just noodle anyways...

Dont have to learn a new song really, just take a closer look what you got allready.

I also did some research about web pages, didnt find too many i could agree
    on the methods and most of them requires to DL and install something, shareware etc.

For songs, frist songs i've learned i think was some x-mas tunes (a bit early for those)
    and then some basic 3-chord stuff, i was into 50's stuff then.
    Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Elvis Presley, Stray Cats etc...
    Those more or less Teh Basics for me.

If you use p2p, do a Search with a word Guitar and DL some pdf files,
    you may find some Guitar for beginners eBooks.

And, GuitarPro is definately out there, DL that and some Tabs for it.
    Is easy to use/learn songs with that app, i guess.

Nothing beats the Real Books tho.

I couldn't agree more, Guitar Slinger.

I don't have the 20 yrs of play behind me (wish I did&#33 I would have to say to Sillyrumours.....get as many books on the subject as you can. Some theory wouldn't hurt either. Now there's an arguement. I wonder who taught Willie Mctell, Skip James, and the rest of the boys from that era, musical theroy?

Moving a few strings, confined to a few frets gets redundant....very restrictive. Learning to play the same notes in different positions certainly gain you a better grasp of the potential....besides it feels great to wonder

While I wonder around in my little box, Guitar Slinger is running the extent of the whole damn fret board....been listening to 'sharing is caring'
    nice work -GS-

6. Music   -   #6
    Damn, learning to play guitar is one thing I wish I had of done...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Music   -   #7
    Turkishjade's Avatar Gunny
    You guys are being too hard....

I'll tell you the first couple of songs I learned (with comments on each)

1. Blackbird-Beatles Teaches you bar positions while sliding.
    2. Black Dog-Led Zeppelin Teaches you Lead as well as playing off beat
    3. Commuication Breakdown-Led Zeppelin Teaches you Rhythm
    4. Manic Depression-Jimi Hendrix Teaches you to switch Rhythm&Lead
    5. The Ocean-Led Zeppelin Teaches you Lead and Rhythm off the beat

Practice singing all of the above while singing for steps 6-10. Even if you suck at singing! Just practice because you KNOW you will end up being a guitar player who sings. You know you will. So why be the typical type of wanker who plays but can't sing? Don't move forward until you can do steps 1-8 okay??????!!!!!1

Okay, now you can expand a bit. If you want to be:

1-Hard Rock guy...Learn to play:
    "This Time", Life of Agony-Album-River Runs Red
    2-Classical Rock guy...Learn to play:
    "The Rain Song", Led Zeppelin-Album Houses of the Holy
    3-Metal God guy...Learn to play:
    "One", Metallica-And Justice For All
    4-Heartfelt Indie Rock guy...Learn to play:
    "Can't Change Me", Chris Cornell-Euphoria Morning
    5-Traditional Backup Rhythm guy...Learn to play:
    "Don't Come Around Here No More", Tom Petty-Southern Accents
    6-Country Fingerpicking GOD...Learn to play:
    "Shotgun Down the Avalanche", Shawn Colvin-Steady On

After you learn whatever style above suits you (WITH SINGING), practice the OTHERS!!!!! yeah, you'll never play them in your set, but the hell with it....it can't hurt to play around, no???

Take the time to learn how to read sheet music and FAKE SHEETS. Just for the hell of it.. You can curse me out later at turkishjade AT hotmail.com. If not, do me a favor and JUST DO IT (copyright NIKE, 2004)

Then plow forward into each artists inidiviual style a bit further learning whole albums to start. Here is a guide based on the last list.

1-Hard Rock guy look at FUGAZI, ROLLINS, TOOL, DEFTONES,
    2-Classical Rock guy look at WHO, ZEPPELIN, (rockin only..) QUEEN and RUSH
    3-Metal God guy look at IRON MAIDEN, (faster) ZEPPELIN, BLACK SABBATH, KISS
    4-Heartfelt Indie Rock guy look at THE EELS, OASIS
    5-Traditional Backup Rhythm guy look at TOM PETTY\, DYLAN, FLEETWOD MAC
    6-Country Fingerpicking GOD look at SHAWN COLVIN, ANI DIFRANCO

Learn a couple of songs (at least 5) with SINGING and then you can plow forward into the genre you want.

Look, I'm a musician that actually knows how to read music and knows how to play and I can tell you: if you can't read music and play and sing at the same time: YOU ARE NOT READY FOR THE NEXT STEP unless you have a gimmick that is so strong that it overrides any lack of talent (i.e. Makeup, Relative in the industry, So young that you are unable to drink, Missing a part of a finger (Tony Iommi), etc.). Take the time now, while in infancy, and build your skills. You will thank me later.

I don't want to be the guy who, 6 months after you get a record deal, is downloading your single off P2P and isn't bothering to listen to the rest of the album because my friends said its shiate!!!!!!!!

Now!!!!!

Now Grasshopper: you will want to learn a more pop style. If you think that you won't need a pop style, I want you to listen to the albums made by "Maroon 5" and "Tobie Lightman" These are people, like you, who had to move into a pop vein because their label told them to. If you were fortunate enough to listen to them perform live without a "Studio" and "Electronics" you would understand that they have skills far above what you would expect for a pop band.

Know that, until you can play any of their simpler songs on acoustic guitar, YOU ARE NOT RED "E" (ready.)

Once you can play (and sing and READ) all of the initial songs I gave you, and can play several songs in the genre that you picked, and can play pop if FORCED to...

Then you are ready. Then you are the next guitar god. One who will be worshipped....one who will be adored for all of the warm and fuzzies he has given to the multitude of guitar acolytes in the world.

I weep for you. And I pray for you. Go forth young man......

Turkishjade

8. Music   -   #8
    And I'll give you a little tip while you are learning to read music and play guitar....

Those who don't come from a musical background, but play really well no matter what the occasion, have probably read the "Fretboard Logic" series (including the bass one's) from Bill Edwards.

His books explain why the guitar is tuned the way it is, why you need to form patterns the way they are, and how you can improvise "convincingly" in any situation.

Hard to find, but a find to be sure!!!!

I don't want to blow smoke up your arse, but with at least practicing 2 hours a day, and with properly lubricating your fretboard (with silicone spray), and with using higher than 10 guage strings, and with learning to pick with a hard(firm/jazz) pick, and with singing along, and with tapping your foot, and with following all of the songs genre by genre....

You could be EXACTLY where you want to be in a year and a half.

I was, and I had exactly the same help I'm giving you!

If you think you are L33T enuf, just keep viewing this link to put you back in your place ( Craziest guitarist evah...a bit sloppy though. Point of reference: I have been playing for 8 years and I am 70% of the way to where he is (and I sound a HELL of a lot sloppier than he does&#33

9. Music   -   #9
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu

Thats Fred Astaire on Fretboard allrite.
    With a Flamengo-Glove.
    This is funneh also.
    SuperMario my ass. Sloppy vid but you get the point.

There's a lot of those Jonglers out there,
    can you imagine the hours they spend to actually learn to play like that?
    I think that even with lotsa Talent (ie. learning fast) they still spend
    hundreds or maybe thousands of hours getting teh skills.

Nice post(s) , good points.

The singing part is true important, its 100% sure that if you going to play with
    other folks, you gonna have to know how to sing also.

I'd say playing with Metronome from early on can be a good tool
    for the Timing, its not enough to know how to play if you gonna play it
    out of tempo. Or, play with CD's. But use something for the tempo
    other than Tapping the Leg.

I've seen a lot of Books about Guitar, i own many books,
    real ones and teh eBooks. (net is full of pdf files)
    Just about any Guitar Tabs book made of some albums is probably scanned and available on the net. I've used eMule on this and it was a bit slow but
    also, it was full of eBooks. Just make a search with a keyword Guitar and extension with PDF and
    you'll see what im talking about.

But, the absolutely best book i own is
    The Guitar HandBook.
    I got the Finnish and the English version.
    I thought i lost my Finnish copy of it so i got the English version,
    needless to say i stumbled upon the Finnish version few days later i got the English book.
    It is excellent book, for 17.50$ (might firnd it cheaper elswhere)
    it is definately worth it.
    Has info of Acoustics, Electrics, Equipment (guitar,amps,effects,recording etc)
    Guitar Maintaining, history of some amazing player, the Theory...
    Tons of good read, go buy it NOW !!!
    (I wish i had a Scanner....)

10. Music   -   #10
    GuitarSlinger...I think I will definitely add that video to my collection. Only to be eclipsed by this video: Van Halen "Eruption" on Violin?

You are right, a metronome would be a good tool to own. I, for one, wish guitarists would at the very least by a tuner of some kind....I mean, if you are experimenting, then OK, but I find it funny that some famous bands can't hear that they are out of tune. They just turn up the Overdrive until it sounds "sweet."

I had no idea anyone had taken the time to scan guitar books. I'm going to go check it out now. THanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast