Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just A Thought

Alright, I just had a thought of a new way I'm going to try to position my fans next time I get an old case to mod.
    Since hot air rises, I'm thinking of having the only exhaust at the top. Possibly/probably 2x120mm blowholes one in front of the other.
    Now all other fans will be intake, yet will be mounted on an angle to help the airflow rise up to the top.
    Also there would bea farily large floor fan as well, probably around 92mm.
    I would also mod the power supply to how the way I have mine now which is working quite well for cooling it seems. This includes switching the back exhaust PSU fan to an intake and cutting an exhaust hole in the top of the psu and in the top of the case as well. The if you have to, cover the open grill on the front of the PSU. This way the heat PSU has no affect whatsoever on your case or CPU temps.
    Below is a simple MS Paint diagram to show what I mean.

Any opinions??
    It's just something I thought of but had not yet seen done, so it may work, it may not.
    Next time I get an old comp to mod, I'm definatly going to try it out.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    nice idea, what will you be using to make the fans look upwards?

btw, doesnt the PSU just suck hot air out of the case, heat it up a lil more, and then pass it out? would save ya alot of modding
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Storm@7 July 2004 - 11:44
    nice idea, what will you be using to make the fans look upwards?

btw, doesnt the PSU just suck hot air out of the case, heat it up a lil more, and then pass it out? would save ya alot of modding
    I did the psu mod on my current computer and it actually lowered my case temps a bit, so it's a bit better apparantly.
    and for the fans looking upward you can use just about anything, you can make a small angled duct using the tops from old cd jewel cases if you'd like!
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    dont know this for sure, but is the floor fan a good idea??? wouldnt it mainly suck dust???

and will it suck in enough air if it only has 1/2" clearing of the floor?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Storm@7 July 2004 - 11:54
    dont know this for sure, but is the floor fan a good idea??? wouldnt it mainly suck dust???

IT wouldn't suck dust because I don't have my comp sitting on the floor. It is sitting up on it's own throne about 2 feet off the floor
    and it will get plenty of air with 1/2" feet, I've talked to many people that have tried it and it has lowed case temps significantly
    any more critisism??

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@7 July 2004 - 17:04
    any more critisism??
    :">

no, thats all i could think of........ go ahead an build it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@7 July 2004 - 16:04
    It is sitting up on it's own throne about 2 feet off the floor
    Aren't you worried it might get knocked over?

Or even blown over if those fans aren't positioned just right.

Seriously, I can't see what's directing air at the hd bays, I don't think air from the fan at lower front will get there. You may find that area gets a little warm (or not, time will tell). Mounting the drives directly in the airflow would probably solve that one though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by kaiweiler+7 July 2004 - 12:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 7 July 2004 - 12:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Storm@7 July 2004 - 11:54

IT wouldn&#39;t suck dust because I don&#39;t have my comp sitting on the floor. It is sitting up on it&#39;s own throne about 2 feet off the floor
    and it will get plenty of air with 1/2" feet, I&#39;ve talked to many people that have tried it and it has lowed case temps significantly
    any more critisism?? [/b][/quote]
    when are u gonna spend 70-80&#036; on fans for an "old" case or move all your hardware/fans into and old case when you have a good/nice case now. its a good idea though, do it in you good computer.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by scottwile+7 July 2004 - 11:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scottwile @ 7 July 2004 - 11:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@7 July 2004 - 12:04
    <!--QuoteBegin-Storm
    @7 July 2004 - 11:54

IT wouldn&#39;t suck dust because I don&#39;t have my comp sitting on the floor. It is sitting up on it&#39;s own throne about 2 feet off the floor
    and it will get plenty of air with 1/2" feet, I&#39;ve talked to many people that have tried it and it has lowed case temps significantly
    any more critisism??
    when are u gonna spend 70-80&#036; on fans for an "old" case or move all your hardware/fans into and old case when you have a good/nice case now. its a good idea though, do it in you good computer. [/b][/quote]
    I agree. Why would you want to do it to an old case? it&#39;s just a waste of your new case...

seems like a good idea though pretty close to how i have mine setup right now...except i have a few less fans.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I would skip the floor fan and the lower front intake.

Two good 120mm fans in the roof will find a place to pull air from, you don&#39;t need to help them.

Bump the two rear intakes up to 92mm (120mm if possible)...more air at lower speeds= less noise.

I like the PSU mod...I&#39;ve done it myself and it does work.

I don&#39;t think you need to worry too much about angling the fans up, but you can use the Thermaltake ducts to achieve that if you must.
    Unfortunately, they only take an 80mm fan, and I don&#39;t like to use small fans anymore if I can help it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast