Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: New Video Card, Or New Hard Drive?

Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Originally posted by clocker@9 July 2004 - 00:26
    You'd have to be nutz to try modding a HDD.
    ONE spec of dust and it's history.
    Although it's humorous to imagine you working on it  in your underwear and wearing a hairnet, even those ( completely inadequate) precautions wouldn't work.

If you still decide to try though, you MUST post a pic of the modding process.
    You could be as notorious as the "star wars boy".
    Hello!

I have already tried it with my friend a year ago. He did the technical stuff(beeing an electrician) I fixed the casing Window with a Dremell!. It still works 1 year later!. So it is possible to do!. We did it in his balcony and he was only wearing his underwear and I fixed the Window in his livingroom. He has since moved to a different city to study to become an engineer so I dont have access to his computer and have not seen him in over 6 months so I cant take a picture of his HD but the HD on the link that I provided in my last post looks almost the same.

And as I said it is mostly done for its cool decorative effect(the most cool position would be to place it vertically in a case with a transparent front bottom so you could see it operate from the front but we placed it on the top instead). The most important data including Windows itself should be stored on the main not modified HD. Only store unimportant stuff on the modified HD. Several people online has been reported to succeed with this. But pretty much all of them have tried this mod on a old used HD ofcourse due to the risk when doing it!.

So dont do it on a brand new drive unless you dont plan to store important data on it and can afford loosing the investment!.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by clocker@8 July 2004 - 18:26
    Although it's humorous to imagine you working on it in your underwear and wearing a hairnet, even those ( completely inadequate) precautions wouldn't work.

omg!
    funniest thing I've read all day

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Joakim Agren+8 July 2004 - 22:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joakim Agren @ 8 July 2004 - 22:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@9 July 2004 - 00:26
    You&#39;d have to be nutz to try modding a HDD.
    ONE spec of dust and it&#39;s history.
    Although it&#39;s humorous to imagine you working on it&nbsp; in your underwear and wearing a hairnet, even those ( completely inadequate) precautions wouldn&#39;t work.

Hello&#33;

I have already tried it with my friend a year ago. He did the technical stuff(beeing an electrician) I fixed the casing Window with a Dremell&#33;. It still works 1 year later&#33;. So it is possible to do&#33;. We did it in his balcony and he was only wearing his underwear and I fixed the Window in his livingroom. He has since moved to a different city to study to become an engineer so I dont have access to his computer and have not seen him in over 6 months so I cant take a picture of his HD but the HD on the link that I provided in my last post looks almost the same.

And as I said it is mostly done for its cool decorative effect(the most cool position would be to place it vertically in a case with a transparent front bottom so you could see it operate from the front but we placed it on the top instead). The most important data including Windows itself should be stored on the main not modified HD. Only store unimportant stuff on the modified HD. Several people online has been reported to succeed with this. But pretty much all of them have tried this mod on a old used HD ofcourse due to the risk when doing it&#33;.

So dont do it on a brand new drive unless you dont plan to store important data on it and can afford loosing the investment&#33;. [/b][/quote]
    Instead you could have just used an old 1gig or something (find them everywhere) and just modded that very uncarefully then just plug in the power and let it kill itself...it will still be running, except that no data can be stored on it, so it would be just for looks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345