Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting The Most Out Of Bt

Poster
    I have a question about using BT.

It says at the bottom of the client window,

'0/kB means unlimited. Tip: your download rate is proportional to your upload rate'.

What does this mean exactly?

I presumed if you set your upload rate to 0/kB > unlimited then your upload and download rate will both be high. My Max uploads is 4 by default.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    seriously though dood have you read the faq about bittorrent

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/1.html

that should explain to you how bt works and a lot more
    I am Member No. : 193 <--- yes there was a time when that was a lot

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by dragon_son@8 July 2004 - 11:58
    seriously though dood have you read the faq about bittorrent

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/1.html

that should explain to you how bt works and a lot more
    wtf dood bbq!!11!1

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    I've got a movie downloading with 64 peers and 19 seeds. My dl is 0 with a ul of 4. It's been like that for 12 hours. Share rating 21.5. This is with the unlimited setting. I had downloaded 4150mb's (99.9%) last night and this morning it showed 4148mb's (99.8%)

danb,

bbq's rule!!11!111

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by 121@8 July 2004 - 05:43
    I presumed if you set your upload rate to 0/kB > unlimited then your upload and download rate will both be high. My Max uploads is 4 by default.
    If you know your max upload rate for your connection is 4 KB/sec, then it does NO good to force BitTorrent to try to use higher speeds and in fact causes bad to HORRIBLE performance.

Same as trying to make a car go 'unlimited' speed - engine blows, tires fall off, it crashes, flips over, catches on fire, and explodes.

Only difference is windows is more unstable and crash-happy than most cars are.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    Switeck.

I was refering to my Max upload setting in my client window. I have a 750mb connection.

This is what I don't get. There are three settings.

Upload rate (kB/s) setting which is 0 to 5000.

Below this is the Max uploads setting which is between 4 and 100. If I set the Max uploads to 100 will this increase my download speed too? It says that your download rate is proportional to your upload rate.

It also says that 0kB's means unlimited. With this in mind what is the best setting?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    muchspl2
    danger to manifold

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://members.cox.net/my_web_pictures/dailupvsunlimited.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    but if you only have dial-up this doesn't help, thats just for broadband users

also don't turn superseed on, it wont help you and if you do use this trick, make sure you seed 1 to 1 (leave it open after its finished)

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    I always seed muchspl2

I see you had better dl rates from the dialup/isdn setting. Will that setting give better dl rates than unlimited in general (if you have broadband)?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    muchspl2
    yes

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    hey much, i use broadband and just trying your technique as shown above...does it like take time to build up speed or does it depend on the file i am downloading cos at the mo, i am trying to get red dwarf and it is sluggish as...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast