Thread: New Dvd Player

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    just passing this along...

i bought a new Philips DVD player..model DVD642.

got it at WalMart for $70US.

so far it's played every .avi file i've thrown at it.(including divx & xvid encodes)

it also plays mpegs, jpegs and mp3 files.

sadly it doesn't play .wmv, .wma(who really cares?) or .mov files.

progressive scan, RGB outputs, composite outputs and optical digital audio output ought to please everyone.

peace...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Sounds like a great deal!

Does it play the AVI's well? or does it skip and stuff? I'd like one that can play them too.

Better yet, i want one of those players that you plug into your network and it reads shared drives plays the files on them. That would be sweet.

BTW, how do you play a JPEG? lol. Mine has that options as well, does it just show your JPEGs?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    muchspl2
    umm..
    I got a nec2510a for 82 shipped, its even less now (79.00 shipped), but a 2500 is 68 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-152-012&depa=0

and you can hack it to burn dl DVD+R9 8.5 gig media, otherwise knowed as 1 to 1 for any dvd made

EDIT: whops thought you were talking abour a dvdr

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    This is a very nice player i've had it for about a month.There is a firmware update for it already.As well as some hacks..Have a look here divx.com It plays most files, some xvids won't play (may i suggest that you use vdub to take a small portion of the file, then burn to rewriteable disc..and due a test.)Nothing is better than burning 6 or 7 avi's on a dvd.I could talk about this player for hours its great.Have seen them in radio shack and best buy for 99$ canadien..How can you go wrong.(the shelves empty fast)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    BTW, how do you play a JPEG? lol. Mine has that options as well, does it just show your JPEGs?
    just pop the disc in, let it load and hit play. it will run like a slide show.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    some xvids won't play
    Packed Bitstream is the problem look here and do what I do convert:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=72899
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75631

Get this it tells you what the bit is AviCheck, if you check differant Xvid movies you will see what I mean with the "yes & no's" which have been used to compress them. This is mainly due to the newer xvid codec and getting the file down to one disc size, don't forget YES the player will play "Xvid" but it uses the "Dvix" codec.
    http://miketeo.net/projects/avicheck/

Otherwise these machines are great had one for nearly a year now AND only just started having this packed bitstream problem as its the people who convert the movie and are using newer verisons of progams to do it, oh kvcd's play good too if you haven't tried them skvcd's won't play in mine though.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    Thanks Harrycary! I just bought one at walmart

it plays a divx movie that I burned to a cd-r
    and now I can put 6 movies on a single dvd-rw and watch them all

it is a very usefull addition.

I see that cw, attcat and much have added some details for
    divx adjustments but so far it does a real nice job in playing divx movies.

it is the small things that usually drive us mad