Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amd Athlon 2.8 Xp

I've mentioned in earlier threads that i was gonna purchase a Athlon 3.2XP, but due to budget constraints i might opt for the 2.8....one big question...is it easily overclocked and too what..can i raise the FSB from 333 to 400 easily???
    I got Booted from Xbox Scene Forum...Proud??...You Betcha!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    yes easily oc.

they are called athlon xp 2800+ and 3200+, not 2.8 and 3.2.

Also i would recomend u go with, instead of those two, a 2500+ which is less than half the price of the 3200+ and you set the fsb to 400mhz and it is already running speeds of 3200+. Easy as that. The stock cooling is sufficient although you may want to apply some arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    How easy is it to overclock the 2800+ ??
    For an intermediate like myself is it easy to raise the FSB too 400mhz??
    Does it depend on the Mobo etc..............

And what speed could i get it up to???

Cheers!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    As far as i know, all the barton core's will oc to the same speed...so it doesn't amtter how much u spend on processor they will all OC the same.

Not sure how easy it would be to do the 2800+ because it has a higher multiplier than the 3200+ and 2500+ (they have same mnulti) so putting the fsb to 400 would mean it is running way faster and, well, dunno what would happen...

I'd just go for the 2500+

edit: It is fairly simple to OC it, just to get up to 3200+...
    Go into your bios, and depending on teh mobo find the page where you have FSB and multi and vcore settings then raise the current fsb which will be 333 to 400 and you are done (actually it may say 166, in which case raise it to 200).
    Depending on if it will boot to windows or not, you may also need to raise teh vcore a little bit. See if it will boot, and if not go to the next step up for vcore and try again.
    The temps will dramatically increase after vcore has been raised so you should be paying close attention to teh temps through the whole process.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cheers m8 for the info....if i went for the 2500..then pussied out and didnt overclock..is that still a gonna be a good enough processor for a few years yet??? How will it stand up against stuff like Doom3...blah blah????

The 2500XP would be alongside 512mb DDR and a Radeon 9800Pro..would that help???

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by slimboyfatz@9 July 2004 - 15:17
    Cheers m8 for the info....if i went for the 2500..then pussied out and didnt overclock..is that still a gonna be a good enough processor for a few years yet??? How will it stand up against stuff like Doom3...blah blah????
    The difference between the 3200+ and 2500+ you probably won't even notice.
    Will handle doom3 and Halflife2 fine.
    Only thing you will notice the difference in is probably benchmarks.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+9 July 2004 - 21:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 9 July 2004 - 21:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-slimboyfatz@9 July 2004 - 15:17
    The difference between the 3200+ and 2500+ you probably won&#39;t even notice.
    Only thing you will notice the difference in is probably benchmarks. [/b][/quote]
    Yeh I was wonderin&#39; that..do benchmarks to the average joe..actually mean shit???
    I got Booted from Xbox Scene Forum...Proud??...You Betcha&#33;&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by slimboyfatz+9 July 2004 - 15:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slimboyfatz @ 9 July 2004 - 15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@9 July 2004 - 21:19
    <!--QuoteBegin-slimboyfatz
    @9 July 2004 - 15:17

Yeh I was wonderin&#39; that..do benchmarks to the average joe..actually mean shit??? [/b][/quote]
    Nope.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by slimboyfatz+9 July 2004 - 20:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slimboyfatz @ 9 July 2004 - 20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@9 July 2004 - 21:19
    <!--QuoteBegin-slimboyfatz
    @9 July 2004 - 15:17

Yeh I was wonderin&#39; that..do benchmarks to the average joe..actually mean shit??? [/b][/quote]
    Nope. According to benchmarks anything but the latest 64 bit uber-processor is slow. In the real world, my 2200 can still hold its own.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    I&#39;ve got a 2500 OCed to the equivalent of about a 3400 (if one existed), but the only place I really notice the extra performance is in the Folding@Home project.

If you are going to raise your FSB, make sure your memory can handle it too, PC3200 at least. There is no point in getting extra processor performance and then losing out because you have to run your memory asynchronously.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast