Thread: Dont Know Where To Put This

Ok so I have a desktop with cable with a Linksys WRT54G router...internet works fine....and i have a new laptop(centrino) with built in wireless card....the wireless card found the router and connected and internet works fine (a bit slow)....but how do i share files? Ive done it with my other laptop with the Linksys network card (i forgot how, it took alot of tries to but it worked), but everything i try with this seems like it doesnt work.....the laptop doesnt see my desktop or the desktop doesnt see my laptop....i pressed "View workgroup computers" and on the laptop, it shows both of the computer, but when i try to connect to the desktop, it says "\\[my desktop] is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found"....on this desktop, when i try to view the workgroup thing, it tries for a while, but it wont let me "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"...and sometimes, its the other way around(desktop sees it, but laptop doesnt).......i think i currently have them both in MSHOME...i tried to put in something else but it wouldnt work.....ive done lots of things and some of em just disconnect me from the internet and im confused....can it be this hard to share files between 2 computers?? i even tried with my firewall off....i forgot how to do this...is there like a guide on how to do this?? i mean the internet works fine on both so shouldnt file sharing work too?? i didnt know where to put this so sorry if i wasnt suppose to put it here....can someone help me? this is frustrating....thx everyone

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    put it in paragraphs

My Blog
    I'm still here.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@9 July 2004 - 15:39
    put it in paragraphs
    Yes it's a little hard to read.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/quick_guide_to...ile_sharing.htm

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Go into the desktop and go to user accounts and create a new user with teh same name as the user on your laptop.

I had to do this with my computers.

You can then set the desktop, using tweakui, to automatically login to the old username you were using.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    wow...i just wanted to use this laptop instead of my desktop for like 2 days....didnt know it was so frustrating...my other laptop was pretty easy...argh whatever...im not gonna make another user ID because of this stupid thing....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@9 July 2004 - 21:19
    wow...i just wanted to use this laptop instead of my desktop for like 2 days....didnt know it was so frustrating...my other laptop was pretty easy...argh whatever...im not gonna make another user ID because of this stupid thing....
    It's not that much work...

btw, what operating system are these computer's all running?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    xp pro on laptop, xp home on desktop...i should install xp pro on this comp but i dun think itll be much different

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Try a remote desktop connection and drag and drop.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    eh...what does that mean?? explain please?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@9 July 2004 - 20:48
    eh...what does that mean?? explain please?
    Google is a neat tool . B)

http://www.google.com/search?q=+remote+des...=utf-8&oe=utf-8