Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard Virgin

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I'm gonna have a shot at fitting a new motherboard this weekend for the first time, ive only ever put in new drives and a graph card so would appreciate any links or advice on fitting a new m/board ie should I uninstall xp before I start to make sure I get a clean set up? what are the most common probs I will come across?

All help appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Yeah you should reinstall the OS when you change motherboards, as you'll probably (definitely) have lots of weird driver issues if you don't.
    And...there's really not much to it, just put the risers in, line the holes up & you're done.
    But those goddamn I/O panels can be a bitch to fit in just right sometimes.
    Of course, this is all easier when you're working with a roomier case too...or one of those cool cases with a hinged door that the motherboard mounts to.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You will have to remove the heatink, meaning you will need some thermal paste to go between the heatsink and the CPU.
    DO NOT re-use the old thermal pad.
    I recomend you use Arctic Silver 5, it is the best thermal paste. Here is a guide on installing it.
    I'm assuming you knowhow to install aheatsink? I think that guide shows you how.

When installing the cpu, you open the latchon the side of teh socket, then place the cpu on top. It should just fall into place if properly alligned.
    DO NOT try to force the CPU into the socket. If it isn't going, it must not be aligned properly.

Between the motherboard are little spacer screws.
    DO NOT go without these spacers...unless you want to see a pretty fireworks show (i've seen it, it's pretty, motherboard won't be though...).

That's the things I had trouble with, rest should be pretty straight forward. Remember that nothing should need to be forced into place, if it requires a lot of force you are doing it wrong.

edit: forgot, if the new motherboard has a different chipset than the last, you will definately need to run a repair install, or format and install windows. Even if the chipset is the same i would still reinstall just to avoid problems that may occur later...

edit2: When installing the headers (power switch, pwr led, etc.) it is a lot easier if you use a flash light.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Make absolutely certain that the spacers line up with the holes in the board properly.
    When you install the screws, insert them all before tightening them down.

Before you install the board, take a good close up look at the connections for the front panel ( switches and LEDs) cause they are a pain to figure out once the board is in place.

Be certain that your RAM is fully seated in the slots...the little retaining clips should be completely locked in.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Thanks, every1 says its not a big job but me being a technophobe is always gonna be risky its seemed straight forward in the manual but chances are I'm not gonna realise I have a problem until I get half way through it and have no internet access, there was A few points in the manual that I was unsure about but I've been working away and hav'nt had time to re-read again so please check out my post again 2morrow and I'll post any other things I'm not sure about before I commit to taking apart at the moment I'm trying to make sure I've backed everything up I'm gonna need.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Make sure you fit the processor, heatsink/fan and the memory to the motherboard before you put the motherboard into the case. They are often damn near impossible to fit afterwards, and you will be exerting a fair amount of pressure onto the board too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by lynx@10 July 2004 - 12:05
    Make sure you fit the processor, heatsink/fan and the memory to the motherboard before you put the motherboard into the case. They are often damn near impossible to fit afterwards, and you will be exerting a fair amount of pressure onto the board too.
    A couple of times I've seen a 'techie' at PC World (hey, we can see the idiots at work n there&#33 with both hands and a screwdriver in a case and a determined look on his face; you just know that the pillock is (un)doing an Athlon heatsink clip.
    Boys and girls, the mounting points on a mobo are spread out and there's only so much flexing that there PCB will do, so don't be a twat, do it on a mat.
    Just thought of that
    <ahem> I&#39;ll get me coat...
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+10 July 2004 - 12:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 10 July 2004 - 12:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@10 July 2004 - 12:05
    A couple of times I&#39;ve seen a &#39;techie&#39; at PC World (hey, we can see the idiots at work n there&#33 with both hands and a screwdriver in a case and a determined look on his face; you just know that the pillock is (un)doing an Athlon heatsink clip.
    Boys and girls, the mounting points on a mobo are spread out and there&#39;s only so much flexing that there PCB will do, so don&#39;t be a twat, do it on a mat.
    Just thought of that
    <ahem> I&#39;ll get me coat... [/b][/quote]
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+10 July 2004 - 07:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 10 July 2004 - 07:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@10 July 2004 - 12:05
    A couple of times I&#39;ve seen a &#39;techie&#39; at PC World (hey, we can see the idiots at work n there&#33 with both hands and a screwdriver in a case and a determined look on his face; you just know that the pillock is (un)doing an Athlon heatsink clip.
    Boys and girls, the mounting points on a mobo are spread out and there&#39;s only so much flexing that there PCB will do, so don&#39;t be a twat, do it on a mat.
    Just thought of that
    <ahem> I&#39;ll get me coat... [/b][/quote]
    Your right. I tried that twice. First time when i put the heatsink on the processor fried.

Then I got my 2200+ lol.

Second time was like a few months ago i was changing my heatsink while it was in the case and trhe screw driver slipped off of the clip (couldn&#39;t get a good grip with the PSU in the way) and it scratched part of the motherboard...thought i&#39;d ruined it (happy actually) but i didn&#39;t still works to this day.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    It&#39;s possible to mount cpu+hs, with the mobo in the case.

I&#39;ve had to do it once, because the bloke who owned the comp had managed to get the mobo stuck somehow.

Had to bend the clips a little, because they would fit otherwise every time I&#39;ve done it.

Them clips are bastards.

But removing heatsink+cpu from inside the case...

I never want to try that.

Best heatsink/fan I&#39;ve mounted for an AMD, when it regards ease in fitting it, was a shuttle ICE heatpipe solution.

Screws instead of clips. Fabulous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast