Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bit Concerned

I'm a bit concerned. I got this message that popped out on my computer. Should I be worried?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    No. Turn off your messenger spam.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    wat kind of message

need more info on the message

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Turkishjade's Avatar Gunny
    Well, actually all computers have their IP address public. Zone Alarm, or a similar firewall, can hide the last octet of your IP to make things dificult for a hacker, but there is very little you can do to make yourself totally invisible. You will still get people who scan IP ranges no matter what you use.

ZAPJB is right, go into Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Administrative/Services and scroll down to MESSENGER and disable it. It's a pain in the arse.

However, since you are asking this question, you may not know about software that you can install to protect yourself. There is a great thing in the sticky section at the top of software world that will tell you all of the options you have. Here is what I use and I haven't been infected with anything in the last year:

The free version of Zone Alarm (firewall) here
    The latest version of Proxomitron (ip address blocker/sortof...like hosts.txt) here
    The free version of Adaware (adware and malware blocker) here
    The free version of AVG Antivirus (antivirus) here

Whatever TYPE of software you don't have, you should install and learn how to use. Like if you don't have an adware blocker, you should, at the very least, look into Adaware. Some people say Spyblocker is better. But you should at least install something.

They are not the best, but they are free. In particular, Proxomitron still works but is no longer supported...I just don't have the patience to look for something else. Adaware is forcing users everywhere to start running HiJackThis! because things are slipping through that are redirecting you to load toolbars and other things. AVG and Zone Alarm do regular updates and seem to be pretty solid though.

Finally, to protect yourself a little bit more from SPAM abuse, whenever you post your email address on a website, use USERNAME AT DOMAIN instead of USERNAME@DOMAIN, that way email trollers won't put you onto some freaky mailing list. I actually try to use the MAILINATOR as much as possible that way SPAM will go to a non-existant address.

Oh, and whenever you get popups about software that IE wants to load, first try clicking the X then try choosing NO because automatically installing things you don't know is bad. ( with the exclusion, obviously, being things coming from websites you do know.)

Good luck!

edited to add: Explanation of what the different softwares do and that you don't have to download and install something you already have.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's just a popup, ignore it.

Get a popup blocker, admuncher is good, or switch to firefox and you won't need one...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    My admuncher is half white and half red. It looks queer...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by TheKiler@10 July 2004 - 04:29
    its probably sunburn, have you had him facing the same way all the time

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by TheKiler@10 July 2004 - 04:29

Hungrylilboy
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Well it's true. Your computer is broadcasting an ip address and with that a certain species of basement rats may commence in attacking your computer. You have been warned.................twice.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by shn@10 July 2004 - 11:25
    Well it's true. Your computer is broadcasting an ip address and with that a certain species of basement rats may commence in attacking your computer. You have been warned.................twice.
    Not strictly accurate, your computer doesn't broadcast it's IP address by default. Install a trojan and it certainly will, though.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast