Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Computer

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Never seen a person who has built a computer, but prefers prebuilt.
    Just like i've never seen a person who couldn't type but could build, and do anything with, a computer.

You sure amaze me Peat.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@10 July 2004 - 14:47
    Build your own, use your old hard drives, old optical drives, Graphics card, etc
    save yourself a lot of money because you won't be paying for useless stuff that you most likely won't use.
    AGREED!

Stay away from Celeron or Duron too.

AMD or Pentium is your choice, they are both good now-a-days. Many suggest that AMD is better for gaming and 3D, but make sure you are getting what you want in CPU speed! AMD doesn't tell you staright forward what their CPU speed is. For example, a AMD 2800 is actually a 2.0gHz CPU (those bastards&#33

Build your own. Find out where and when the next computer show is in your area. You may have to travel, but you get the best prices. Building on your own is very rewarding and saves you money, except when you get shafted by Microsoft to buy their $200.00 (Canadian money) Windows XP Professional Edition. Unfortunately XP is 1/3 the cost of your home-built computer, and XP is just a plastic disk. 29 cents and anyone can burn a copy.

Things to remember when building on your own:

- get a GOOD known brand motherboard. One that has upodated drivers on a reliable website for future use.

- Motherboard should support 8X AGP video

- I prefer integrated sound card on the motherboard

- I prefer integrated LAN for DSL or cable, on the motherboard

- Memory is currently cheap, get the highest speed and nothing less than 256mB for starters

- get a floppy, you never know when you need it

- Buy a cabinet WITH a power supply. It is cheaper to buy the combo. Nothing less that 500watt

- If your cabinet has extra USB ports in the front, make sure that the provided cables actually reach the USB pins on the motherboard

- optical mouse!!!

- Am I forgetting anything? Ribbon cables, audio, etc...?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Spindulik, he just said he didn't want to build.
    Let the old man do as he wishes
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@10 July 2004 - 23:35
    Spindulik, he just said he didn't want to build.
    Let the old man do as he wishes
    I know, but I said the same thing too, before I built my first computer. I have built more computers for myself, and for friends and family than I can remember.

Building your own computer is not hard. If you can build IKEA furniture, you build a computer.

Besides he said this...
    "I think I can get just the tower and goodies for under $1000".

Which means he is willing to build some.

With a $1000 budget, I'd build my own and get a FLAT monitor with the rest of the cash.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Spindulik@10 July 2004 - 22:22
    For example, a AMD 2800 is actually a 2.0gHz CPU (those bastards&#33
    But it does teh equivelent of a pentium 4 2.8ghz, maybe 2.6ghz. But definately not a 2ghz.

Remeber the athlon 64 fx53 keeps up with the 3.2ghz P4, but runs on only 1.6ghz.

sry, i think it might be 2.4ghz...not sure...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Spindulik+10 July 2004 - 23:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 10 July 2004 - 23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaiweiler@10 July 2004 - 23:35
    Spindulik, he just said he didn&#39;t want to build.
    Let the old man do as he wishes&nbsp;
    I know, but I said the same thing too, before I built my first computer. I have built more computers for myself, and for friends and family than I can remember.

Building your own computer is not hard. If you can build IKEA furniture, you build a computer.

Besides he said this...
    "I think I can get just the tower and goodies for under &#036;1000".

Which means he is willing to build some.

With a &#036;1000 budget, I&#39;d build my own and get a FLAT monitor with the rest of the cash. [/b][/quote]
    He has already built a few of his own, he just prefers the premade ones. It&#39;s not like he&#39;s scared to build because he&#39;s never done it before. He has, but prefers prebuilt ones.
    Simple.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 July 2004 - 23:41

Nobody knows for sure but here is an example from my YAHOO&#33; search.

I am not complaining on the quality of AMD (or the price), I am just point out that the number "2800" is just a series number and does not reflect the actual CPU speed.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Spindulik+10 July 2004 - 22:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 10 July 2004 - 22:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@10 July 2004 - 23:41

Nobody knows for sure but here is an example from my YAHOO&#33; search.

I am not complaining on the quality of AMD (or the price), I am just point out that the number "2800" is just a series number and does not reflect the actual CPU speed. [/b][/quote]
    First of all, i was reffereing to the fx53 not the 2800+.

This guide tells you what all of the athlon XPs are.

And CPU speed no longer matters. It needs to be shown in efficiency, not clock speed. again, clock speed means NOTHING. ZIP. ZERO. N O T H I N G&#33;

I tihnk i have had this argument with you before.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 July 2004 - 19:04
    Never seen a person who has built a computer, but prefers prebuilt.
    Just like i&#39;ve never seen a person who couldn&#39;t type but could build, and do anything with, a computer.

You sure amaze me Peat.
    I said ,I just found the money saved was not that great .

Edit : The time involved is a nother issuse I&#39;v mentioned before. Guy&#39;s its not like I buy HP or Compac crap its white box stores &#39;s with good quality stuff . I&#39;m talking to the fella building my system . Yes some is hands on like putting in my own hd or cd-rw to complete the machine. But to me time IS money , I &#39;d rather speed that time playing soccer with my kids.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 July 2004 - 23:51

I tihnk i have had this argument with you before.
    Oh. Now it is an argument?

Speed means something, otherwise they wouldn&#39;t be making faster processors. Clock speed? I don&#39;t mess with clock speed or tweaking. I just slap the CPU in and it works better than the previous slower one that I had. I can see the real efficiency of my CPU (compared to the slower one) when I use this software.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast