Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sdram Or Ddr?

CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by south-paw@21 March 2003 - 13:58
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. I got 512SDRAM, an a 64mb card.I do a lot of online gaming.I was wondering whether 512 DDR would offer a cheaper increase in perfomance, than getting a 128mb gfx card....
    Might want to insure your board is capable of supporting DDR ram. Since no mention of exactly what type of system you are running I'm merely giving suggestions to check. Have you checked for any vid card driver updates? What resolution do you use when playing on-line? If 1042x768 or higher, maybe dropping down one would help; ex. if you are running 1024x768, drop to 800x600, get the picture? I would think the 64MB vid card would be sufficient but again depends on your system setup, vid card type and whether or not you are running the latest drivers. Post what type of system w/specs you are running, maybe there is something that can be suggested based on those specs that will help...................
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    System? sorry, I use a P4 1.6,the m'board is Gigabyte 8IDML, which I m sure accepts DDR, with a GeForce4MX420.When I checked NVIDIA, only the MX440 drivers were listed Yeah I play online at 800x600, all game video options set at normal.
    It's just recently I played BF1942, and that game seems particularly 'processor intensive', as my bro puts it.Far too much screen lag. Hence my thinking about DDR and 128mb card upgrades.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by south-paw@21 March 2003 - 16:03
    System? sorry, I use a P4 1.6,the m'board is Gigabyte 8IDML, which I m sure accepts DDR, with a GeForce4MX420.When I checked NVIDIA, only the MX440 drivers were listed Yeah I play online at 800x600, all game video options set at normal.
    It's just recently I played BF1942, and that game seems particularly 'processor intensive', as my bro puts it.Far too much screen lag. Hence my thinking about DDR and 128mb card upgrades.
    In your case, a video card upgrade is necessary. You'll need GeForce4 ti 4200 AT LEAST.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by Supernatural@21 March 2003 - 23:27
    In your case, a video card upgrade is necessary. You'll need GeForce4 ti 4200 AT LEAST.
    Be serious dude, I kicked off this thread asking for advice on DDR memory versus SDRAM, cause I hoped to save money on having to upgrade my card just yet.Your little contribution just adds dust to my wallet, not knowledge to my spending power
    btw,CornerPocket, you were not wrong about the drivers, I managed to locate a whole load of the latest drivers.Guess I'd better set about uninstalling the old, and installing the new thanks

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Well, you're the one who mentioned video cards, not me.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Supernatural@21 March 2003 - 20:42
    Well, you are actually proving his point there. The more RAM a system has, the less it has to access the MUCH SLOWER hard drive, therefore increasing system speed. It's a well known fact that the amount of RAM is probably the biggest performance factor in computers. I'll take a 1Ghz computer that has 512MB ram over a 2Ghz computer with 256MB ram any day.
    ah... the thread was about ddram vs sdram not amount of ram and yes more ram helps

but i might mension that going from 256 to 512 will not be a huge diffrence after 256 Mb ram the performance increase is greatly redused after 512 the performance increase is all most nothing

unless as i said u do a lot of video editing and rendering or u want to be able to run more programs at a time or ur runing a data base server

and again the bottle neck is in the hard drive not the ram so a program will not open any faster no matter how much ram u got
    it still has to come from the same hard drive going from a 5200rpm drive to a 7200 rpm drive will give a better performance increase

and south-paw u will see a biger improvement in getting a better video card then in getiing faster ram and 512 MB ram should be plenty for any game out

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Well, I do ALOT of multi-tasking and gaming.. so RAM is most important to me. And there is no real-world performance advantages of 7200rpm HD over 5400rpm HD, just miniscule benchmark advantages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12