Thread: Musicmatch 7.5

Poster
    Ive got MusicMatch 7.5, and am having a problem with it.

The best way to descibe the problem is as follows:

Example - I ripped a cd of the Talking Heads (and may others), and the program put some of the songs into one folder, and the remainder into another. After the rip was comple, I tried to move all the new mp3's into the same folder. Windows does not allow some of the songs to be moved, and the error message reads:

Cannot move 05 - talking heads - road to nowhere: The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different name.

Looks to me the name is just fine, but?

I am using PowerDesk or Explorer when attempting to move the files, and sometimes they will even lock-up or crash durring the attempt.

My computer:
    Toshiba notebook with XP Home
    1.8 ghz P4
    512 ram
    etc, etc.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Please help me here, as I have no ideas myself

P.S. - Don't worry, the picture below does not mean I had been tipping the bottle(s) when I experienced this problem, but I sure needed one after spending what seemed like hours trying to figure this problem out

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SHIFTY's Avatar Poster
    have you tried renaming the files u wanted to copy?
    and have you ever received an email about a virus saying
    that you should delete a certain file, because if you did tell me
    what the file was called if you deleted the file it was telling you to delete
    because there has been an email going around for a long time
    and it says delete this file or your computers harddrive will crash or be wiped
    or something like that, when really the file they want you to delete is a small
    windows .exe file and all it does is allow you to have long file names or something
    and i forgot the name of the file so if so tell me and ill send you a copy of the
    file from my windows. plus ill need to know what windows your running to
    get the right file

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    SHIFTY-

Thanks for your reply.

have you tried renaming the files u wanted to copy?
    Yes, I have. Sometimes the files can be re-named, then moved, and sometimes not. A little more explanation of my problem would be that after ripping some cds, I noticed that in a few instances the mp3 (from a few up to all on said cd) would have a very long name, AND would appear in blue text (when exploring the folder with the new mp3s), as opposed to black, and that those in blue could not be re-named, moved, or played. I have since un-checked some of the boxes (I had all 4 options checked) in the [New Track Directory Options\Name Track File Using], thinking this would shorten the name of the mp3 being created. After making this change, I ripped the same cd again, and although the name was significantly shorter, and the file name now appeared in black and could be played, I was still UNABLE to move some of the new mp3 files, receiving the same error message:
    Cannot move 05 - talking heads - road to nowhere: The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different name.
    have you ever received an email about a virus saying
    that you should delete a certain file, because if you did tell me
    what the file was called if you deleted the file it was telling you to delete
    because there has been an email going around for a long time
    and it says delete this file or your computers harddrive will crash or be wiped
    or something like that, when really the file they want you to delete is a small
    windows .exe file and all it does is allow you to have long file names or something
    and i forgot the name of the file so if so tell me and ill send you a copy of the
    file from my windows.
    No, I have not, and as a rule I never follow the directions of any email messages I receive, unless they are from someone I know, and that someone has successfully implemented it themselves.

plus ill need to know what windows your running to
    get the right file
    My computer:
    Toshiba notebook with XP Home
    As I stated in my original post (as seen above), I am running Windows XP Home. Although I have not deleted the file you mentioned, I would be interested in having a copy of the file you are talking about, and I can then look further into that possibility, and have the file should I find that to be the problem. (The computer is used by my wife, and some of the people in her IT dept. have helped her to set up the computer to run various applications in order for her to work from home when needed - could be possible something happened without me knowing about it - )

Thanks again for any replies any of you may have.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    South Cali where the beach is warm and the babes are hott!!!
    don't use MusicMatch Jukebox.......

if u want to rip CD's, go get CDex or a ripped copy of Audiograbber from Kazaa, it's great at ripping CD's......

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks metalrebelzz-

Looking into something else now. I'm tired of the problems - I now need to re-rip many of my CDs because of the problems.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    After departing Sofwareworld, I headed over to Musicworld, where I think I found my answer and all the information needed to take care of my needs. What did I find?

The Quintessential Guide To Creating The Highest Quality MP3s On Earth

Thanks Paul. Your guide appears to be the just answer I was looking for - well, actually, it may very well turn out to be more than I was looking for - but to everyone's benefit, since I will not only be Creating The Highest Quality MP3s On Earth, but sharing them afterwords.

I believe anything worth doing is worth doing right, so I've downloaded everything the above link advised, and now I'm ready to go at it!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    A quote from 'metalrebelzz':

don't use MusicMatch Jukebox.......

if u want to rip CD's, go get CDex or a ripped copy of Audiograbber from Kazaa, it's great at ripping CD's...... 
    Just laughing at that old remark you made metalrebelzz - sorry, I couldn't resist!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    South Cali where the beach is warm and the babes are hott!!!
    *smacks Todd around a bit with a large trout*

hehhehehehehehe

anyways, so far, the best i can find is MMJB PLUS.....
    d/l the basic version from their site ( www.musicmatch.com ) and then PM either Todd or me or summerlinda for the Key.......

works like a charm!!!!!

(yea i know, I completely changed my mind when they came out with their new version....)
    BITE ME!!!!!!