Thread: Windows Xp Firewall Issue

Further to my message of July/4 (which I've still not gotten to the bottom of): as seen here

I'm still trying to help my friends (who are overseas) get up and running with KL. As the previous post said, they can connect, they can search and get results...but the program crashes as soon as they try to start downloading a file. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why.

Could this possibly be an XP firewall issue? If they had the firewall turned on (though I tried explain them how to turn it off) could it allow them to connect to KL, but then crash the program as soon as they try to download? Or would it simply prevent them from connecting in the first place?

Anyone know? Or anyone have any other ideas why KL seems to be in working order until they try to download a file (at which point, the program crashes)?

Thanks, you helpful folks

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Originally posted by lane99@13 July 2004 - 05:32
    Further to my message of July/4 (which I've still not gotten to the bottom of): as seen here

I'm still trying to help my friends (who are overseas) get up and running with KL. As the previous post said, they can connect, they can search and get results...but the program crashes as soon as they try to start downloading a file. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why.

Could this possibly be an XP firewall issue? If they had the firewall turned on (though I tried explain them how to turn it off) could it allow them to connect to KL, but then crash the program as soon as they try to download? Or would it simply prevent them from connecting in the first place?

Anyone know? Or anyone have any other ideas why KL seems to be in working order until they try to download a file (at which point, the program crashes)?

Thanks, you helpful folks
    make sure they are using one of the "newer" versions, i.e 2.4.3

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Unfortuantely, 2.4.3 is the first version they tried...and they had this problem. So they tried an earlier version, and the same thing happened. Hmm, confusing.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    :helpsmile: I am having exactly this problem with my brand new beast of a computer and as I am about to go on an ultra fast broad band connection, it is frustrating in the extreme...I currently have broadband at standard speed and I am able to search for stuff but as the poster describes, as soon as the downloads or uploads commence, it breaks the internet connection and I have to reboot to obtain connectivity.
    I have tried other file sharing programs such as supernova and soulseek.......all result in the same problem.
    But interestingly...I signed up for a trial run of a paid of eMusic.com and had absolutely no problem.
    I have contacted BT and Dell who are unable to help.........PLEASE LET THERE BE SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO CAN!
    I use Zone Alarm as a firewall but have checked its settings to allow these programs and I have turned off the XP prof firewall.
    Thank you for your time in reading this.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I run Zone Alarm & still have the XP firewall on & I have no problems. It sounds more like spy-ware. Try running a program called Ad-aware, its free & might help.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Thank you for your reply and yes I do run Adaware version 6.0 on a regular basis.

Any other thoughts.

Kind regards