Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Cooling

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Time for update.
    The parts for the first server ( such as it is) will all be here by tomorrow.
    Now our only remaining purchase is the OS (Windows Server 2003 with extra 5 CAL) and that should be done today*.

Turns out that the office in California where this will be used is undergoing some renovation and part of the work includes converting an old storage area (read: closet) to a dedicated computer room. New AC ducting is being installed ( with filters) so the server will have it's very own (semi-) clean, cool space.

Accordingly, my plans for cooling the case have changed.

Obviously, there is no way to know until we run her if my solution will be adequate, but the initial config will be:

Lower front of case...120mm Sunon (intake)...metal case grill removed, but front plastic bezel remains stock as the intake venting appears large enough to be useful.

The motherboard wall has been skeletonized and a low profile Zalman 80mm fan installed inside the RH sidepanel (intake).
    This is a mod that Sprocket has thrived with and , although somewhat contraversial, seems like cheap insurance to me. The back of the CPU socket, the northbridge and the mosfets all get airflow from this addition so how can it hurt?

On the LH sidepanel I'm using one of my "speaker grill" tubes to mount a 92mm ( intake) fan...this will bring in outside air to the front of the motherboard and the HSF.

On the CPU (Barton core 2600+) we'll be using the stock AMD HS with an adaptor and 80mm fan.

The first case has already been so modified, and a quick and dirty mock up( case empty) shows that with the three case fans running on 12v ( noise isn't an issue) there is a very good amount of air flowing throgh the case and exiting the extensive punched grillwork on the back panel. This will change of course when the board and other components are installed, but I think it's a good base setup.

My only concern now is the Raptors...I have zero experience with them and opinion seems to be mixed as to whether they require any special cooling or not.
    For now I'm just going to install them in the stock mounting bracket and see what happens. I have a plan for special mounting should it be necessary, but it will be a lot easier to implement once all the other parts are installed and I can see just how much room I have to work with.

Minor additions to the board (NF7-S, rev2.0) include swapping out the POS ABIT northbridge HSF for a passive Zalman sink ( the tall blue one) and (possibly) some sort of cooling for the southbridge and SATA chips. I'll decide about the latter after it's up and running and I get an idea of how warm these things get.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how this works out.
    I'm getting the chance to try some new equipment (Raptors in mirrored RAID and a 400w Fortron PSU) and a different OS , so it'll be a learning experience.
    I'll take some pics as the build progresses and let you know how it all turns out.

*OS purchased on eBay early this AM...not sure about delivery date right now.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Seems like a lot of extra work your putting into this...

it will run fine with all stock stuff and one exhaust fan, or zero exhaust fans if u want...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@21 July 2004 - 07:54

Now our only remaining purchase is the OS (Windows Server 2003 with extra 5 CAL) and that should be done today*.

uh huh

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@21 July 2004 - 11:45
    Seems like a lot of extra work your putting into this...

it will run fine with all stock stuff and one exhaust fan, or zero exhaust fans if u want...
    Well, this machine will not live the cossetted life that our personal PCs do.
    Running 24/7 basically unattended, I felt that a bit of extra effort was called for.

Even assuming a decent payout for my efforts ( and I am), we are still far below the cost of a bottom line Dell server, so both he and I will be happy I hope.

I have always believed that computer manufacturers give shortshrift to the cooling of their products.
    Although I heve tended to go to extremes on my personal machines, I think this particular computer reflects a good comprimise between a business tool and a pampered home rig.

I am shooting for a max normal temp of 45c or so.
    I'll set the CPU warning level in BIOS at 50C and we'll see if it ever goes off.
    I'm betting it won't.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    i like that, not takeing the easy route, the road less traveled.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    All parts have arrived in Boulder.
    Waiting on OS to come before I go up and assemble this thing.
    Should be here tomorrow, barring a disaster of some kind.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Installing the OS is almost the same as installing XP.

Get building, we want to see pics.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by lynx@22 July 2004 - 12:00

Get building, we want to see pics.
    Righto, boss.
    Here is a teaser.

Image Resized
    [img]http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mini-caseleft.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Image Resized
    [img]http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mini-bezel.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    This is the Plain Jane, generic case, premodded and ready to go up to Boulder tomorrow.
    You can see the gaping hole in the front for the 120mm fan and the "speaker tube" already in place on the LH sidepanel awaiting it's 92mm fan.
    The RH sidepanel has a dust filter and a low profile 80mm Zalman fan to blow on the back of the mobo.

Careful viewers will note that I again have used the doorbumpers as casefeet and a USB port has been added to the very lower right corner of the bezel ( this is for the external backup drive).

Fooling around today I mocked up two alternative HDD mounting arrangements.
    The holes are drilled and I'll see as the build progresses which of the three possible mounts works out the best.

Now I just have to wait.
    And so shall you as I probably won't be back home till Saturday night or Sunday morn.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@22 July 2004 - 18:30
    Careful viewers will note that I again have used the doorbumpers as casefeet and a USB port has been added to the very lower right corner of the bezel ( this is for the external backup drive).
    You installed the usb yourself?
    Didn't know you could buy those ports.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Sure, they come as a PCI slot cover with 2 USB ports.
    Just remove from the metal slip and install where you will.
    Cost about $5 at Microcenter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast