Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversion?

hello everyone

newbie seeking help.

sometime ago i downloaded music from K-Lite then burned them onto a CD-RW disc.

I can play them fine in Windows Media Player 9. BUT--i want to put them "back" onto my hard-drive so that i can have them in a Windows Media Player playlist and i can't. i get a message that refers to a file extension that is not recognizable.

when i open the one of the track's "property" window, i notice that it is "read-only"

is there anyway that i can get this music off my cd-rw disc and back onto my hard drive?

:helpsmile:

thank you

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Weird!

If you burnt your CD as a data CD then you should just be able to copy the files to your hard drive in Windows Explorer, they keep the same extension, no probs.

If it's an audio CD that you've burnt, then you can use a CD-ripper to get the tracks back on to your hard drive, a nice free one is CDex (do a search in google for it)

Since you said you had a CD/RW, I'd assume you have burnt it as a data CD, which is why I'm confused as to why you're having a problem.

What is the file extension of the tracks on the CD?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Exactly, if you burnt the CD and simply are trying to copy them from cd to disk, that will not work unless you find a "Ripping Program" that "rips" the files from the cd into WAV or MP3 format. Or if you burned the CD as an MP3 Cd then you should be able to, but i doubt you did this. So just PM someone, other than me about Ripping Programs and I am sure someone will guide you towards a good one. Music Match works good. I use a free one called DP Poweramp music comverter. But it sucks nuts.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by orcutt989@13 July 2004 - 17:30
    I use a free one called DP Poweramp music comverter. But it sucks nuts.
    its one of the best dude

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    hello again

want to thank: barbarossa, digital nirvana and orcutt989 for your responses and suggestions.

barbarossa--to answer your question, the extension on all of these tracks are "MP3 audio files" i downloaded all this music from K-Lite.

when i "burned" them onto to my cd-rw disc i used Windows Media Player 9. (you know that feature that says: "Copy To CD or Device").
    so i'm "almost" certain that i didn't burn this disc as a "DATA" cd.

now i noticed you said ["you should be able to copyyour files in Windows Explorer"] is there a difference from "Explorer" and Windows Media Player?

i also visited the suggested site "CDex" but again have no clue as to what this program does or offers and what i should be downloading or not.

further help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:25 AM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by n2tv@13 July 2004 - 11:05
    when i open the one of the track's "property" window, i notice that it is "read-only"
    You are trying to COPY the files, not MOVE them, right? Usually get the 'read only ' error on the latter, not the former.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    to quit_steel

yes, i'm just trying to put this music (copy) BACK onto my hard drive.

thnks

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by n2tv@14 July 2004 - 09:01
    now i noticed you said ["you should be able to copyyour files in Windows Explorer"]  is there a difference from "Explorer" and Windows Media Player?
    Try Exact Audio Copy (adware/spyware free) if the files were not saved as data.

If they were saved as data, follow the advice to extract through Explorer not WMP. All you have to do is pop the CD in the drive. Open a window for the drive. Select the tracks and then copy those tracks from the CD to a folder on your HD. (If you're using XP, use the copy function in your left hand panel, not the function in the drop down menu when you right-click the file.)
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by n2tv@14 July 2004 - 15:01
    when i "burned" them onto to my cd-rw disc i used Windows Media Player 9. (you know that feature that says: "Copy To CD or Device").
    so i'm "almost" certain that i didn't burn this disc as a "DATA" cd.
    OK, lets clarify some terminology:

Audio CD - This is a CD that has been created in a special format that can be played in a standard CD player.

Data CD - This is a CD that can only be played in your PC (or other compatible device, some DVD players can play data CD's)

Windows Explorer - This is the standard program that comes as standard with Windows that is the easiest and best way to move, copy, rename, and do all sorts of file-related operations anywhere on your PC, regardless of their type.

Windows Media Player 9 - This is Microsoft's functionally-bloated audio and video player.

Therefore,

By and large, if your CD plays in your stereo then it's an Audio CD, if not it's a Data CD. I'm not really that familiar with Windows Media Player 9, but if the file extensions are MP3 then it does actually sound like it's burnt a Data CD.

You only need a CD-ripper like CDEx if you are trying to get tracks onto your PC from an Audio CD. Therefore I don't think this is really relevent to you.

Having said that, I still don't understand why your PC won't play your tracks directly from the CD.

Sorry I can't be more help.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Could it be that you activated some kind of digital rights restrictions when you allegedly put these so called "mp3 audio files" onto the cd?

So you sort of copy protected the cd, I mean?

Since you can play them from the cd, but not move them off it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast