Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Private File Library At Fst?

lynx's Avatar .
    Sparsely is right, if it is copyright material then it is illegal.

And with a forum this size you can bet it is being watched and that there will be some spies. Anyone can write guides etc, it is no guarantee that they aren't working for RIAA etc. And when you've been shopped you stll won't know who they were. Sounds like a quick way to get shut down.

Even having links to a sister site which is doing the hosting is risky. A private tracker is probably the best way since you don't actually host any files yourself.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    ES5 has something like that (private FTP servers). By all accounts its just as illegal to offer copyrighted material for download (distribute it) even if it is private. If you live in the U.S (or U.K or other European countries) and FST is hosted in a similar place it wouldn't be the best thing to do.

I don't really see the need for setting up such stuff though (presumably you're trying to breath more life into this place?). This site has always been about P2P (why not just stick to eMule, K++ and BT?) and has had to take various actions to prevent problems (no torrents or hosted to on this forum after a spat with Invision regarding the legality of them) and this site is watched by various people (note how Sharman attacked this site over K++).

Perhaps you should just stick to doing things like getting the skins sorted on the forum and installing an arcade and pumping lots of verified in to the various worlds (that was one of the main selling points of the forum for a long time) and getting rid of the anti spam script. The forum does seem to be going off the boil a bit but it'd be stupid to do anything too brash on the spur of the moment which could damage the forum further.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparsely@13 July 2004 - 19:58
    well, you're hosting files, and if they're copyrighted by someone else, then it's still illegal to distribute them.
    Not exactly, a program/software/script can be copyrighted but also distributed by licenses such as GNU GPL, etc.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Site Owner
    Well this is just a consideration. I wanted peoples opinions. I don;t want to do anything to jeopardize this forum. I just want to make everyone happy.

Brian

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by rookiecrd1@13 July 2004 - 22:28
    Well this is just a consideration.  I wanted peoples opinions.  I don;t want to do anything to jeopardize this forum.  I just want to make everyone happy.

Brian
    I doubt that there would be one member on this forum who wouldn't love you for getting rid of Anti-Spam. (reinstall the forum software)(remember to warm us a day or two ahead of time...)

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+13 July 2004 - 23:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 13 July 2004 - 23:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rookiecrd1@13 July 2004 - 22:28
    Well this is just a consideration.&nbsp; I wanted peoples opinions.&nbsp; I don;t want to do anything to jeopardize this forum.&nbsp; I just want to make everyone happy.

Brian
    I doubt that there would be one member on this forum who wouldn&#39;t love you for getting rid of Anti-Spam. (reinstall the forum software)(remember to warm us a day or two ahead of time...) [/b][/quote]
    Then everyone would weep over their lost post count

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by NightStalker+14 July 2004 - 01:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightStalker @ 14 July 2004 - 01:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@13 July 2004 - 23:03
    <!--QuoteBegin-rookiecrd1
    @13 July 2004 - 22:28
    Well this is just a consideration.&nbsp; I wanted peoples opinions.&nbsp; I don;t want to do anything to jeopardize this forum.&nbsp; I just want to make everyone happy.

Brian

I doubt that there would be one member on this forum who wouldn&#39;t love you for getting rid of Anti-Spam. (reinstall the forum software)(remember to warm us a day or two ahead of time...)
    Then everyone would weep over their lost post count [/b][/quote]

If he does it right we won&#39;t lose anything.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+14 July 2004 - 01:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 14 July 2004 - 01:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by NightStalker@14 July 2004 - 01:35
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@13 July 2004 - 23:03
    <!--QuoteBegin-rookiecrd1
    @13 July 2004 - 22:28

Brian

I doubt that there would be one member on this forum who wouldn&#39;t love you for getting rid of Anti-Spam. (reinstall the forum software)(remember to warm us a day or two ahead of time...)

Then everyone would weep over their lost post count

If he does it right we won&#39;t lose anything. [/b][/quote]
    Even if he backs up the MySQL database and restores it, some of the script may lie in the database.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by rookiecrd1@14 July 2004 - 03:28

Brian
    Brian, you can make some of the people happy some of the time...but not all of the people all of the time.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I think it should be a link only versus hosting files directly. With the un/pw changing frequently. And as somebody else mentioned the files hosted somewhere where it&#39;s legal. And also maybe when typing the link leave out the t as in f*p... You know cya by little details.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast