Thread: Net2plug

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Hey seems too simple to work.
    http://www.packardbell.co.uk/products/node1632.asp

PC activities such as data exchange, accessing a network printer over the home network or internet access is all done over the existing electrical wiring in the building. A net2plug adapter converts every power point into a connection to your home network. You are completely independent--use a power outlet anywhere from the basement to the attic.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    This idea has been around for about 15 years, but not at the current (sorry) speeds.

Seems to me that wireless networking would be cheaper though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Ya i had a thread sort of about this...i wanted to know what stops it from leaving your house and going into other houses.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@14 July 2004 - 17:51
    Ya i had a thread sort of about this...i wanted to know what stops it from leaving your house and going into other houses.
    Range, 200m.
    Security, 56bit DES Link encryption with key management.

Other than that I don't think there is anything.

It won't jump phases so only 1 in 3 properties will receive your signal, but that means if you are in a multi-phase building you've got problems.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+14 July 2004 - 12:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 14 July 2004 - 12:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@14 July 2004 - 17:51
    Range, 200m.
    Security, 56bit DES Link encryption with key management.

Other than that I don&#39;t think there is anything.

It won&#39;t jump phases so only 1 in 3 properties will receive your signal, but that means if you are in a multi-phase building you&#39;ve got problems. [/b][/quote]
    Ok, why didn&#39;t you say this stuff in my thread? lol.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Wasn&#39;t that about PLC internet? I don&#39;t think that would use 56bit DES Link encryption, and a 200m range could be a bit of a problem too.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@14 July 2004 - 13:39
    Wasn&#39;t that about PLC internet? I don&#39;t think that would use 56bit DES Link encryption, and a 200m range could be a bit of a problem too.
    Dunno, it was about power line networks in general...