Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Trustworthy

Which is the most reliable all-purpose file downloading program? My comp is very prone to viruses (I just recovered from one that wiped my HD) so I need something reliable. I tried WINMX, which is reliable, but doesn't have a good library. KaZaA Lite ++ is good but I was just wondering if there was anything better. Thanks.
    Random Quote of the Day
    Manny Calavera: My scythe. I like to keep it where my heart used to be.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Its not really the p2p-app you using.

Its how you protect you're PC.

You need to learn how to avoid the crap on the net.
    I have not gotten much viris on the Kazaa (when i was using it)
    as it is all about How To Search.

You'll also need an AntiViri app on autoprotection, auto-updating and
    you have to scan your PC very often.
    That has been helping me a lot to keep my system clean.

Spoiler: Show

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    yeah, all p2p networks have fakes/virues/and shit (FT being the highest). Its just protecting your computer:
    • Get a decent antivirus with updates
    • Get a decent firewall
    • Get an ip blocker (Protowall or PeerGuardian).
    • Get a spyware/adware scanner (AdAware/Spybot SD)
    • Dont use those Email apps like Microsft OutLook and Outlook Express cause thats a how most viruses spread (address book..)
    • Scan your computer
    blah blah blah... whatever...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Out of The Ordinary
    Great post ^

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I know how to protect it, it is just a prone computer. I have Norton Antivirus, Norton System Doctor, and Zone Alarm. Yet it seemed to get the virus anyway. But thanks for the help.
    Random Quote of the Day
    Manny Calavera: My scythe. I like to keep it where my heart used to be.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Zone Alarm and all personal firewall programs are snake oil. It will provide little, if any protection.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by zippy_frog@14 July 2004 - 03:14
    I know how to protect it, it is just a prone computer. I have Norton Antivirus, Norton System Doctor, and Zone Alarm. Yet it seemed to get the virus anyway. But thanks for the help.
    Take the sound advice offered above. There is no such thing as a 'prone computer' only misconfigured software making it seem that way.

If you need help in setting up or configuring any of the above applications then I'm sure there will be a lot of people on this forum willing to help
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by manker+13 July 2004 - 23:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 13 July 2004 - 23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-zippy_frog@14 July 2004 - 03:14
    Take the sound advice offered above. There is no such thing as a &#39;prone computer&#39; only misconfigured software making it seem that way.

If you need help in setting up or configuring any of the above applications then I&#39;m sure there will be a lot of people on this forum willing to help [/b][/quote]
    Totally agree: There are no prone computers, only prone users.

Act on the good advice you have received, but also remember that no matter how well you set up your security measures it is also very easy to bypass them. You have to pay attention to what you dl and install (know plenty of people that simply ignore the anti-virus and firewall warnings after they have set them up). Hate to sound like a parent, but you are more important than your security software and by the tone of your post it sounds like you&#39;ve nodded off at the wheel a couple of times.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Arm@14 July 2004 - 05:17
    Zone Alarm and all personal firewall programs are snake oil. It will provide little, if any protection.
    They have their uses.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Yeah they do. Uses that other programs can easily do. But dont expect any real protection from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast