Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question For Other Limewire Users

Poster
    In the settings tab where it says how many files people have to share to be able to download off me and not be a freeloader , what do you guys think i should make it ?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Originally posted by Angel Of Destiny@15 July 2004 - 15:30
    In the settings tab where it says how many files people have to share to be able to download off me and not be a freeloader , what do you guys think i should make it ?
    I'd say all your MP3's and any programs you've got laying around..

~Digital Nirvana

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Last edited by hungrylilboy; 01-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    To Angel Of Destiny:

John W. Lindh about halfway down this thread talks about how the 'anti-leech' slider in Limewire works:
    http://www.bearshare.net/showthread.php?t=29458

It is very important to read this to understand how to configure this part of Limewire to work best!

In response to Digital Nirvana's reply:

Sharing ALL your MP3's and any programs you have is a very BAD idea if you have very many (read 100's) -- you'd basically be hit by a Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attack from EVERYONE trying to download from you at once.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    All I've got to say is, P2P only remains because of sharing, without sharing, there wouldn't be any P2P.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by [-Crono-]@15 July 2004 - 16:54
    All I've got to say is, P2P only remains because of sharing, without sharing, there wouldn't be any P2P.
    Right, and sharing more than enough to keep your upload bandwidth (however much you have) maxed out 24/7 is a worthy goal.

But sharing 'everything' just means more and more of your upload bandwidth gets spent sending 'yes I have that file but I'm busy right now' messages instead of actually uploading something.

And letting people LIST all those files you have shared just makes that problem 10x worse -- because the more you have the more it decreases your upload speeds when they do... and the more LIKELY people will be to do that!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I'm on 56K, and I still share everything.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by [-Crono-]@15 July 2004 - 20:22
    I'm on 56K, and I still share everything.
    If you have a LOT of files -- especially if you're sharing more than 100 popular MP3s or 5 or more tv shows -- you really need to reduce the amount you have shared. It's especially important to get out the rare and good stuff, even at the expense of other files which people have HUGE demand for.

You really cannot upload faster than 100% 24/7 -- so sharing LOTS more than is neccessary to keep that level of demand on your connection is just reducing the amount you DO share.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    I dont think u guys understood my original question

this is what i meant

Image Resized
    [img]http://home.comcast.net/~angelofdestiny/limewire.PNG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Edit: I see no point in letting people download off me if their not ganna share the files with other users because they hold up the download line for people who will actually help spread rare files

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Angel Of Destiny@18 July 2004 - 00:34
    I dont think u guys understood my original question
    No, I answered your original question.

The BearShare message thread I pointed you to has one of the developers for Limewire, John W. Lindh, comment about that.

He said:

"That slider in LimeWire doesn't work. It hasn't worked for years actually. But thanks for elucidating why the LimeWire devs didn't remove it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast