Thread: Loud Fan = Silent Fan?

I know its possible...
    But how do you do it?
    Tweaking the wires?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    What do you want?

You have a loud fan, want to make it silent?
    won&#39;t be silent, but you gotta either buy a fan speed controller or volt mod it.

To volt mod, well, you know on a molex connector (hard drive power connector) it has the red, 2 black, and a yellow? well, the yellow is 12 volts, the blacks are ground, and the red is 5v.
    Normally the fans will run on 12v (blakc and yellow). If you want it to run on 7v (which is what i recomend) then you gotta cut the wire from your fan leading to the black and instead conect it to the red.
    This combonation of 5 and 12 makes 7v.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That volt mod trick...
    I know VB has the link of the diagram thanks ross.

Hey I found it...
    Straight forward diagrams and intructions.
    http://www.bleedinedge.com/guides/7volt_mo...lt_fan_mod.html
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by from that guide you found.
    Each pin has two small barbs on the side. See the picture below. You will need to press the barbs down even with the pin body. To do this I use a pair of tweezers. It&#39;s a little fiddly at first but you&#39;ll get used to it. Once the barbs are pressed down, gently pull the pin out of the connector. Piece of cake. Don&#39;t forget to bend the barbs back out before you reinsert the wire into the connector. If you don&#39;t, the pin will not lock in place.
    wish i knew that before i cut asll my wires up lol.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Just remember, don&#39;t use that 7 volt trick on the CPU fan. The lower voltage could cause the fan to not startup and that leads to disaster.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@13 July 2004 - 20:09
    Just remember, don&#39;t use that 7 volt trick on the CPU fan. The lower voltage could cause the fan to not startup and that leads to disaster.
    Still haven&#39;t had this happen with any of my fans.
    But i guess if it is possible to have happen then don&#39;t risk it on something like the cpu.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@13 July 2004 - 18:09
    That&#39;s good advice.

I&#39;ve never followed it of course, but good advice just the same.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by clocker+13 July 2004 - 20:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 13 July 2004 - 20:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@13 July 2004 - 18:09
    That&#39;s good advice.

I&#39;ve never followed it of course, but good advice just the same. [/b][/quote]

Trust you&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Okay I did it...
    Its easier than I expected to be...
    Both run @ 7volts since the 5volts didn&#39;t work.
    One is @ 5volt 2+7volt.