Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapter Question #2

I'm going to use an LCD 19" monitor as a TV in my bedroom. Is this possible? It has s video connections on the back. If so, I can get an adapter thats coaxial(from the wall) to s video right? (For cable TV)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Not directly. You need a TV tuner.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 July 2004 - 23:57
    such as a cable box? I'm not sure what you mean by tv tuner.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by sampson+16 July 2004 - 07:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sampson @ 16 July 2004 - 07:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@15 July 2004 - 23:57
    such as a cable box? I&#39;m not sure what you mean by tv tuner. [/b][/quote]
    A tv tuner converts the incoming signal into the various parts (video, audio) required to produce picture and sound.

They can commonly be found in tv,vcr and pc-tv tuner cards. Your cable box is a sort of pre-converter which all of those require.

Obviously you don&#39;t want a tv set, that would be pointless and probably would not have the outputs you require, and you have already indicated you don&#39;t want to put it through your pc.

That leaves a vcr of some sort. If the monitor only has s-video as a suitable input (are you sure this is the case?), then you will obviously have to get a vcr with s-video output. Muchspl2 says that only expensive svhs recorders have this connector, I disagree, but we&#39;ve been down that route and we aren&#39;t likely to resolve it.

However, I&#39;ve found this converter which will convert the rca output of a cheap vcr to the s-video required by your monitor. You still need the vcr but I think you said you&#39;d got one, and you still need a sound system for the audio, but I think this should meet your picture requirements nicely.

Or you can Google your own.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 July 2004 - 20:57
    Dont think he&#39;s hooking it up through his pc.

Its this the exact same conversation as a few days ago?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy+16 July 2004 - 02:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SingaBoiy &#064; 16 July 2004 - 02:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@15 July 2004 - 20:57

Its this the exact same conversation as a few days ago? [/b][/quote]
    Your both right. I&#39;m not hooking it up through my pc.

Yes, we had this conversation a few days ago but if you check that thread, you&#39;ll see it was unmersefully hijacked.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Without the tv tuner, how would he change the channel. Coxial cable from the wall contains many signals and the tv tuner seperates them into seperate channels. You can probably use the rca->s video adapter, however some video quality is leftout and you&#39;ll need something with composite video out such as a VCR or Cable box. Don&#39;t forget about the sound.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by sampson+16 July 2004 - 08:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sampson &#064; 16 July 2004 - 08:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@16 July 2004 - 02:19
    <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234
    @15 July 2004 - 20:57

Its this the exact same conversation as a few days ago?
    Your both right. I&#39;m hooking it up through my pc.

Yes, we had this conversation a few days ago but if you check that thread, you&#39;ll see it was unmersefully hijacked. [/b][/quote]
    If you are now saying you are hooking it up through your pc, you simply want a pc tv tuner card, probably with remote control.

They vary from about &#036;30 to &#036;130, depending on what you want it to do besides watch tv.

Edit: and you would presumably get the sound through your pc sound system.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    If you are now saying you are hooking it up through your pc, you simply want a pc tv tuner card, probably with remote control.

They vary from about &#036;30 to &#036;130, depending on what you want it to do besides watch tv.

Edit: and you would presumably get the sound through your pc sound system.
    oops. NOT using a pc

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What type of inputs are available on your monitor?

Tell us the make and model please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast