Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Does This Msg Mean?!?!

WINDOWS - VIRTUAL MEMORY MINIMUM TOO LOW
    Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied.

What is this? What causes it and how do I do something about it?

Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    Generally, windows loads programs and data that you are using in the foreground to physical memory and unloads them to a pagefile (which is on your hard drive) when it is in the backgroud.

If you have too many apps running or apps that are working with a lot of data, the memory and pagefile can get full. You can try increasing the size of the pagefile by going to the task manager -> performance -> advanced -> settings -> change.

Also, try to figure out if you have any spyware/adware that might be sucking up memory.

If you are running a lot of apps at the same time, you might simply need more RAM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That means that the programs that are currently running on your computer require more Virtual Memory than you have allocated by default.

If you get this message often, then you should increase the default allocation a bit.

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Options > Virtual Memory

Edit: damn too late

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Retired
    Originally posted by Error403@17 July 2004 - 18:44
    Edit: damn too late

old google, copy/paste trick

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I can't remember.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 July 2004 - 22:34
    I can't remember.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    As said above...
    you've ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
    so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast). if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it's time to invest in some more ram.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Broken@18 July 2004 - 04:10
    As said above...
    you've ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
    so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast). if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it's time to invest in some more ram.
    Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+18 July 2004 - 05:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 18 July 2004 - 05:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Broken@18 July 2004 - 04:10
    As said above...
    you&#39;ve ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
    so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).&nbsp;

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast).&nbsp; if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it&#39;s time to invest in some more ram.
    Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory. [/b][/quote]
    here you go cheiwe...
    I think you should read this.
    How Stuff Works, What Is Virtual Memory.
    http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.js...question684.htm
    you&#39;ll learn alot.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Broken+18 July 2004 - 05:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Broken @ 18 July 2004 - 05:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@18 July 2004 - 05:11
    Originally posted by Broken@18 July 2004 - 04:10
    As said above...
    you&#39;ve ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).

Differnce being, virutal memory is measured in seconds (very slow), while ram is measured in milliseconds (fast). if you are running new software on your computer that you will be using regular, it&#39;s time to invest in some more ram.
    Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory.
    here you go cheiwe...
    I think you should read this.
    How Stuff Works, What Is Virtual Memory.
    http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.js...question684.htm
    you&#39;ll learn alot.
    [/b]

Erm, you said this:
    <!--QuoteBegin-Broken
    @18 July 2004 - 04:10
    so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this (virutal memory).&nbsp;
    [/quote]
    Perhaps the page you linked to is incomplete (I didn&#39;t bother going there) because it should point out that if you set your pagefile to vary between 1MB and, say 768MB, Windows will be using it before you have loaded up all your physcal RAM; if you add up everything in Task Manager to find it less than your physical RAM, the presence of a large pagefile is an indication of this.

Windows XP does not start using a pagefle when you run out of physical RAM, it does it all the time.

Double-gaffe: you also posted 11 and a half hours after [I] [K] [E] had explained it perfectly.

Yes, I might have learned something from your link, but perhaps you&#39;ve just learned two things by posting it: how Windows XP handles memory paging, and how to look silly by being sarcy when you shouldn&#39;t.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast