Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bobby Fischer Arrested

Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@17 July 2004 - 20:44
    Yes, and by acclamation probably the best chess player who ever lived
    I thought that was Kasparov

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by yonki+17 July 2004 - 18:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yonki &#064; 17 July 2004 - 18:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@17 July 2004 - 20:44
    I thought that was Kasparov [/b][/quote]
    No.

Kasparov is quite good; in fact, maybe good enough to run a very poor second to Fischer and still be head-and-shoulders above the rest.

To provide a bit of perspective:

I have an uncle who is a very accomplished player; he described the situation to me thus:

Martial artists of all stripes seem more-or-less willing to concede that Bruce Lee was probably the greatest practitioner of martial arts, at least in modern times.

My uncle said that Bobby Fischer would have been Bruce Lee&#39;s Bruce Lee.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    and his family is jewish... go figure.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4+18 July 2004 - 01:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 18 July 2004 - 01:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by yonki@17 July 2004 - 18:02
    <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4
    @17 July 2004 - 20:44

No.

Kasparov is quite good; in fact, maybe good enough to run a very poor second to Fischer and still be head-and-shoulders above the rest.

I have an uncle who is a very accomplished player; he described the situation to me thus:

Martial artists of all stripes seem more-or-less willing to concede that Bruce Lee was probably the greatest practitioner of martial arts, at least in modern times.

My uncle said that Bobby Fischer would have been Bruce Lee&#39;s Bruce Lee. [/b][/quote]
    LOL
    Despite what your uncle said, i recommend you inform yourself a little bit about ELO rating.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by yonki+18 July 2004 - 08:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yonki &#064; 18 July 2004 - 08:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 July 2004 - 01:35
    Originally posted by yonki@17 July 2004 - 18:02
    <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4
    @17 July 2004 - 20:44

No.

My uncle said that Bobby Fischer would have been Bruce Lee&#39;s Bruce Lee.
    LOL
    Despite what your uncle said, i recommend you inform yourself a little bit about ELO rating.[/b][/quote]
    I stand corrected, yonki.

I was not aware Kasparov had broken 2800.

It is obvious, though (by virtue of the existence of ignoramuses like my uncle and I) that Kasparov stills needs some work on his mystique rating.

Well spotted.

BTW-I caught Kasparov recently on T.V. doing some commentary on the situation in the Mid-East.

He will certainly never approach Fischer&#39;s level of outright weirdness.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by mogadishu@18 July 2004 - 08:14
    As J2 noted, he cannot be beaten for weirdness.

Having said that most of the chess greats are pretty weird - I suspect thinking in the way required for chess does something to the neurons and makes communicating with the rest of the world at best difficult.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by Biggles+18 July 2004 - 09:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 18 July 2004 - 09:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@18 July 2004 - 08:14
    As J2 noted, he cannot be beaten for weirdness.

Having said that most of the chess greats are pretty weird - I suspect thinking in the way required for chess does something to the neurons and makes communicating with the rest of the world at best difficult. [/b][/quote]
    Possibly excess dopamine; too many things firing at once.

I used to work with autistics, and at the time, there was theory extant to the effect that if their dopamine levels could be managed (and functionally augmented, as there is considerable synaptic insufficiency in autistics), that they would make superior chess players.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12