Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can My Comp Read Over 137 Gbs?

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    HD manufactures ship thier drives with programs like E-Z BIOS (Western Digital), that overcome the normal system bios limitations. While a software fix isn't the best thing for a hardware problem... it works.

Go out and buy the biggest hard drive you can find.
    The only thing that would limit you is XP, which can handle up to 9TBs. Which is 9,000GBs.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Broken@17 July 2004 - 22:03
    The only thing that would limit you is XP, which can handle up to 9TBs. Which is 9,000GBs.
    Not necessarily...the os might be able too, but since its only supported file systems are fat32 and ntfs, and ntfs has a max partition size of 2tb doesn't it? not sure, but i think that's it... so how would xp ever be able to handle something 9tb in size?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy+17 July 2004 - 17:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SingaBoiy @ 17 July 2004 - 17:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ninjamonkey@17 July 2004 - 15:39
    wouldn&#39;t I have to fill it up to 137 gigs though before i knew if it cut it off there?
    No... if you go into My Computer and click your hdd, it will tell you the size and how much is available.

Havin problems there Tormentor [/b][/quote]
    Ya, i kind of had a chain reaction of accidents there. Thanks to whoever deleted my posts.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    While the FAT32 file system can only support drives up to a standard theoretical size of 2 terabytes, (it "can" be jury-rigged under Windows Millennium Edition to support partitions of up to 8 TB).

Windows XP Professional manages dynamic volumes in a special database instead of in the partition table, so dynamic volumes are not subject to the 2-terabyte physical limit imposed by the partition table. It possible for support up to 9 terabytes, and possible even 16 terabytes with some rigging.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Broken@17 July 2004 - 23:02
    While the FAT32 file system can only support drives up to a standard theoretical size of 2 terabytes, (it "can" be jury-rigged under Windows Millennium Edition to support partitions of up to 8 TB).

Windows XP Professional manages dynamic volumes in a special database instead of in the partition table, so dynamic volumes are not subject to the 2-terabyte physical limit imposed by the partition table. It possible for support up to 9 terabytes, and possible even 16 terabytes with some rigging.

oh, ok, i googled for the partition size limit of ntfs and it said on a site 2tb lol.

guess it was outdated or something.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Broken@17 July 2004 - 21:02
    It possible for support up to 9 terabytes, and possible even 16 terabytes with some rigging.

Whew, what a relief&#33;
    Now I won&#39;t have to lose my extensive collection of Paris Hilton ass pictures.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    You people complainin about 137gb is too little, back in my day we had 6gb hard drives&#33;
    Only able to fit 1 modern game and 1 iso at a time
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Of course, back then, what with being chased by dinosaurs all the time, you really didn&#39;t have time to play a lot of games either.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by clocker@18 July 2004 - 04:42
    Of course, back then, what with being chased by dinosaurs all the time, you really didn&#39;t have time to play a lot of games either.
    haha. That was particularly funny for some odd reason.

Hmm, i think my dad doesn&#39;t feel like going back to the store unfortunately. So, I&#39;ll probably be with the 120 gig HD anyway. I&#39;ll try to convince him tomorrow though.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Keikan@18 July 2004 - 04:34
    You people complainin about 137gb is too little, back in my day we had 6gb hard drives&#33;
    Only able to fit 1 modern game and 1 iso at a time
    Back in your day?
    I remember paying £100 for a second hand Seagate 90MB for my Amiga, but I imagine clocker still has fond memories of a 486SX33 with an awe-inducing 20MB internal drive. w0w&#33;
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast