Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shutting Down The Pc

Soo...
    Whats the dealy here?
    Leave my PC such as suspend mode? Standby mode? Sleep mode?
    Well I ain't leaving it on while im sleeping of course, for sure il turn it off at night time.

I need a straight answer.
    Should I just put it on sleep mode? (Standby).
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    straight answer would be if you have xp just do ( win key and L) then turn off monitor like one member said above.

If you have win 2k lock the workstation and again if so, turn monitor off.

if you got 98, me, use some 3rd part lock down tool to lock your computer while away for the few minutes

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Both my pc&#39;s have been on for about 2 months now, 17 days since the last reboot for the XP pc, 24 days for the Linux pc (and that&#39;s only because I accidentally kicked the reset button).

You will always get differing views on this sort of thing, you have to make your own choice. Try the method I&#39;ve suggested (and set the time to about 2 minutes). If you don&#39;t like the results you can still turn it off, but it will go into suspend mode for those occasions when you are away longer than you expected.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I leave my computers on 24/7.

I guess if you are really worried about it "wearing out" then you&#39;re better to just leave it off always.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@18 July 2004 - 12:59
    I guess if you are really worried about it "wearing out" then you&#39;re better to just leave it off always.
    Only perinoid people worry about that...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I say you people care to much.
    Shutting down and turning on your computer often probably does stress the components. However the amount of life lost in your components is probably insignificant unless you want to keep your computer for a few decades or you are just a fanatic.
    I say don&#39;t worry so much and just turn it on and off whenever you please.
    Geez.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Heh...
    I always turn this comp on/off for 3 years now...
    So whatever...

Thanks.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I believe in turning my computer off when not in use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12