Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Divx/dvd Players.?

the dvp 642 is a very nice player, had it for about 1.5 months have a look around here for some interesting info on dvp642 as well as other divx players divx hardware forum ..I especially like the fact you can upgrade the firmware and there are some hacks for it... B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Yamada 6600 is currently £57.27 + £5.12 shipping, including VAT at Ebuyer.

Edit: decided to ask Philips about the DVP642, might as well get the info from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    does this yamada work in the u.s. and all? i see its multi-regioned and stuff, but it's always being listed in pounds and this talk of VAT is kinda scaring me off

does any online place sell it where its not a UK marketed item?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    All the sites selling Yamada seem to be European, maybe it is sold under another name in other places.

In any case, from what I hear the Philips DVP642 has more features and is cheaper.

European prices are more often quoted including taxes, so that you can see the price you will end up paying. I understand US prices are usually quoted before tax, understandably because the taxes vary from place to place, but it doesn't give you a true measure of what you are paying.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Found out more info about the Medion player, seems the disc brand problems aren't as bad as has been suggested, so I've just ordered one.

Got a reply from Philips about the DVP642. According to them it is only sold in the US, yet I've seen reports from other parts of the world, just not Europe. They didn't even suggest an alternative, so if they don't care about their own business, fuck them.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just got my Medion player (literally 10 mins ago), tried 3 brands of disk, Datawrite Red Original, Datawrite Yellow, Bulkpaq Orange, and they all play perfectly. Bulkpaq Orange took a few seconds to rcognise the disk, but after that ok.

Haven't got any Divx to try yet, so I can't report on that, but so far everything seems great.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Originally posted by lynx@22 July 2004 - 15:27
    Just got my Medion player (literally 10 mins ago), tried 3 brands of disk, Datawrite Red Original, Datawrite Yellow, Bulkpaq Orange, and they all play perfectly. Bulkpaq Orange took a few seconds to rcognise the disk, but after that ok.

Haven't got any Divx to try yet, so I can't report on that, but so far everything seems great.
    How`s it going with the medion player lynx.Does it play everything you throw at it.??

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Still catching up on all the dvd's I've burnt, so I haven't had chance to try much else so far. Just for you I decided to try one of everything I've got.

VCD, no problem
    SVCD, no problem
    DVD-R (Bulkpaq Orange, Datawrite Yellow), no problem
    DVD-RW(Datawrite Green 2x), no problem
    MP3 CD, no problem
    MP3 DVD, no problem
    Jpeg, no problem
    Avi's, no problem
    Mpg's, no problem

Sometimes takes a few seconds to recognise what the disk is, other than that the only thing that doesn't play is mov files, which is hardly surprising.
    No divx yet, but since these players are certified I don't expect that to be a problem.

The only drawback I can see is that it only displays the first 11 characters of filenames, but that's not really a big deal.

If you get one, go for free delivery, ordered mine late Tuesday (too late for shipping), shipped on Wednesday, arrived Thursday.

Anyone know a good converter for .mov files?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    I've done mpeg to avi and found it quite quick, say's it does mov's but don't own any sure I got mine from supanova.
    What I did fine when looking was MOST convertors do it in real time this only took 17mins much better.

http://www.winavi.com/

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Originally posted by lynx@24 July 2004 - 18:25
    Still catching up on all the dvd's I've burnt, so I haven't had chance to try much else so far. Just for you I decided to try one of everything I've got.

VCD, no problem
    SVCD, no problem
    DVD-R (Bulkpaq Orange, Datawrite Yellow), no problem
    DVD-RW(Datawrite Green 2x), no problem
    MP3 CD, no problem
    MP3 DVD, no problem
    Jpeg, no problem
    Avi's, no problem
    Mpg's, no problem

Sometimes takes a few seconds to recognise what the disk is, other than that the only thing that doesn't play is mov files, which is hardly surprising.
    No divx yet, but since these players are certified I don't expect that to be a problem.

The only drawback I can see is that it only displays the first 11 characters of filenames, but that's not really a big deal.

If you get one, go for free delivery, ordered mine late Tuesday (too late for shipping), shipped on Wednesday, arrived Thursday.

Anyone know a good converter for .mov files?
    Nice one lynx .I shall get one ordered today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12