Thread: Best Codec For Ripping Dvds

Hey all,

I've been ripping DVDs for quite sometime now. I use robot4rip to rip the data and GordianKnot to compress it, with DivX 5.1 Pro. I've been getting pretty decent results and have gotten quite good at it, but I keep getting this nasty feeling that maybe I'm missing out on something by not trying out XviD or Nero's Recode. Can anyone help me here? Is there a codec better than DivX 5.1?

Thanks plenty,

Lump.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by LumpenEllimint@19 July 2004 - 16:51
    Hey all,

I've been ripping DVDs for quite sometime now. I use robot4rip to rip the data and GordianKnot to compress it, with DivX 5.1 Pro. I've been getting pretty decent results and have gotten quite good at it, but I keep getting this nasty feeling that maybe I'm missing out on something by not trying out XviD or Nero's Recode. Can anyone help me here? Is there a codec better than DivX 5.1?

Thanks plenty,

Lump.
    i highly suggest Xvid. not only is it free (and OSS), it didn't give me strange blocky effects along solid color borders that Divx5 did. could be just my problem, but if Divx5 doesn't want to work straight out of the box, then off my machine it goes. or at least not get used.

i've done some amazing 1CD rips (longest being either the b&w Some Like It Hot or The 6th Day, both just over 2 hours) that i have no idea why, but seem to beat the scene release of the Punisher DVDSCR (which is even at a lower res). i've also done a rip of The Cell which has a wicked codec-wrecking trip sequence, and a RC of Xvid 1.0 handled it amazingly well. OTOH, i've had one problem movie, and that was Finding Nemo. never did get the results i wanted, but then again i didn't want to play with MPEG Quantizations (which break Quicktime MPEG4 compatibility).

the only plus side to Divx5 IMO is the purdy box you get that reports and shows you video as it's compressing. what i wouldn't give to have something like that in xvid. but, it's not you're gonna stare at it the entire time it's encoding a DVD (unless you have that 7Ghz OC'd P4 that Tom's made with liquid nitrogen).

Xvid might be a wee bit more complex, but take the time to learn the basics. it's well worth it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    XviD is the best.

It's more complex the configure, but you can find XviD guides (for GordianKnot) at http://www.doom9.org

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks guys! So XviD it is, then. But which is the best version. Should I go in for an older, stable version or a newer beta?

Thanks again.

Lump.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    There is no beta version of XviD. At least not a public one.

Version 1.01 is the latest and the best.