Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Uk Isp

What is the best ISP for the uk? I'm with NTL at the moment and its up for renewal, one of the problems I have is that they choke the p2p ports so I only get slow d/l speeds with bittorrent etc.

What would be the best to get 80kbs etc??

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster
    If increasingly sickened by caps and limitations, Gio Internet's the way!

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by barryk32@19 July 2004 - 17:09
    What is the best ISP for the uk? I'm with NTL at the moment and its up for renewal, one of the problems I have is that they choke the p2p ports so I only get slow d/l speeds with bittorrent etc.

I've never had any probs downloading from p2p's with ntl. Have you tried their newsgroups? they have great newsgroups.
    Robert00000

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    I am with NTL and have just moved up to there 1mb connection, i get great speeds, on Bittorent, IC and there newsgroups. And coming this summer there upgrading 1mb connection to 1.5mb for FREE!

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I have the Blueyonder 3mb service. I've not had any complaints about my high bandwidth usage and never had any downage time.

50 quid well spent each month.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Poster

QUOTE (barryk32 @ 19 July 2004 - 17:09)

I've never had any probs downloading from p2p's with ntl. Have you tried their newsgroups? they have great newsgroups.
    Snap I agree there not one problem here been on 1 meg for 2 years now.

I get over this most of the time it all depends on the others and they speeds, I NEVER start a download off at full upload speed start small and when its running smooth slowly increase to the max' you want - well works for me and I've down ALOT of stuff now I just wish we had a larger upload speed thats all I'd perfer to keep the 1meg but increase to say 1/2meg upload, then thats me and Ntl would never go for it.......still I can dream.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Does ANY ISP in the Uk do above 256 (32kb/s) upload? EVen people who have 3mb's are stuck with 32kb/s upload.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Ta for that.

I am only on the 17.99 option at the moment with ntl but find I am behind a router as if I use BT with ports 6881-6889 my light is green but d/l speed is 0-3kbs but when I use ports 49191-49201 i get speeds between 5-10kbs which isnt great but I can live with. If I go with the 1M option this time round it should eliminate this problem?

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you've got an NTL line, you will probably find most ISP's won't be able to provide you with a service anyway, they seem to be stuck with the blinkered "you must have a BT line" idea.

This has the double drawback of reducing people's reasons for switching to NTL, which keeps BT's line prices high, and little option of ISP on NTL lines, which keeps NTL broadband prices high.

That won't change until there is some serious competition in the Local Loop Unbundling market.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast