Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple Of Noob Questions

Firstly,
    I have recently downloaded Shareaza and have tried a couple of bittorrent downloads. I just want to ask if Shareaza is OK for bittorrent downloads, or should I use a dedicated client like BitTornado (BitTornado seems to have a good press, but I have not found a Topic which discusses the merits of various clients, so I would appreciate any comments)
    Second, I'm sure I read this somewhere a while back, but have been unable to find out since to confirm. If I have saved a torrent file to my PC, after I have finished dl'ing a file, in order to seed the file, I should stay connected for as long as possible, this I am OK with, but if I want to log off the PC and then carry on being a seed for a file when I next log on, is it just a case of double clicking the torrent I saved then selecting the completed download, to then allow this file to be available as a seed? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but as I said, I'm sure I have read that this is what to do, but cannot find it again to confirm this.

Many Thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    muchspl2
    yes and yes
    get bottornado and cllick the torrent, and seed as long as you can

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I'm not really sure how good the shareaza bittorrent client is, I remember it used to be pretty crap, but that was quite a while ago. My personal recommendation would be Azureus (you need to have the java virtual machine installed as well) it has a lot of features, but i don't think its too daunting for newcomers. The only downsides with bittornado are that you have to have a separate download window for each of your torrents and theres no overall management of all your torrents.

If I have saved a torrent file to my PC, after I have finished dl'ing a file, in order to seed the file, I should stay connected for as long as possible, this I am OK with, but if I want to log off the PC and then carry on being a seed for a file when I next log on, is it just a case of double clicking the torrent I saved then selecting the completed download, to then allow this file to be available as a seed?
    spot on.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Thanks for quick replies,
    It seems that BitTornado, Azureus and G3 seem to be the 3 favourites. Performance wise are they all the same, and it being a case of choosing whichever has the interface you prefer, or does one perform better than others?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Norfolk_N_Life@21 July 2004 - 05:03
    It seems that BitTornado, Azureus and G3 seem to be the 3 favourites. Performance wise are they all the same, and it being a case of choosing whichever has the interface you prefer, or does one perform better than others?
    * Torrent Storm (Very good but i can never seem to dl more then 30kbps)

* G3 Torrent (nice features but slower then torrentstorm)

*Azureus (seems to be the best so far, a little hard to use when your new but you get used to it and its the most widely used)

I havent tried BitTornado yet so i cant comment on it

-------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Before i get stupid replies , yes i did check the max upload and download rates on all the clients , all settings were configured and all of the files i tried downloading had 20+ sources

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I really like TorrentStorm, but only the 1.1 version.
    It is based on older versions of Shadows. For some reason, the new versions of Shadows seem to be much slower and very unstable.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster

slower than torrent storm?, my copy isnt
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMD 2600
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bit torrent client - ABC</span></span></span>

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I will download the various clients mentioned here at the weekend and see which one I prefer. Many thanks for comments, as with anything, user recommendations are always the best measure of how good something is.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    Originally posted by Angel Of Destiny+21 July 2004 - 23:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Angel Of Destiny @ 21 July 2004 - 23:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Norfolk_N_Life@21 July 2004 - 05:03

*Azureus (seems to be the best so far, a little hard to use when your new but you get used to it and its the most widely used)

I havent tried BitTornado yet so i cant comment on it

-------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Before i get stupid replies , yes i did check the max upload and download rates on all the clients , all settings were configured and all of the files i tried downloading had 20+ sources [/b][/quote]
    i can usually download at 100 - 250kB/s which is my maximum download speed, using torrentstorm 1.1 with shadows version 5.8.7.
    I only licked you for the salt

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster
    I was using TorrentStorm version 1.3 figured the newest version would be the fastest how it usually goes when you release new stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast