Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A "summing Up" Of The Wmd Situation.

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I would tend to agree with Rat Face on the piece.

Whilst it is true that Israel did encounter criticism at the time, the article appears to be using later unconnected events to justify earlier breaches of international law - down that route lies anarchy. I do not think the author would advocate anarchy therefore the spin rings hollow.

I also think too much is made of the connection between Libya and the war in Iraq. Libyan has been edging back into the international community for nearly 10 years now and had all but given up on WMD aspirations. It must be remembered that Ghadaffi's sentiments aligned with the old Soviet era rather than the new Islamic fundamentalism. Ironically, Ghadaffi could end up one of our better friends in the region.

Iran and N. Korea are not so much in the process of acquiring such weapons as actually being there. N Korea has produced nuclear devices and long range missiles to launch them. Iran may also already be there. Indeed, there is an argument that Iran not Iraq or Libya has been behind much of the turmoil in the ME over the last 25 years and that we have concentrated on the wrong people. However, that is one for historians and analysts to determine in years to come.

Nevertheless, and in favour of the piece, I do not believe GW lied. He presented incorrect data as fact and whilst the overselling of poor intelligence is a failing, it would be fair to say the failing probably lies at the doors' of others. The President cannot be expected to verify intelligence.

I guess, however, that the article has been written because in the minds of many the buck does stop at the President, regardless of the fact that he may feel he has been left holding the baby..
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    He asked for evidence to support what he wanted.

So thats what he was supplied....

...as I said earlier.

You could say that he was naive, to ask in this way, an inexperianced President...

....however Dick Chaney and Colin Powel are veterans of the White House.

They would have known this.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@24 July 2004 - 17:39

...as I said earlier.

You could say that he was naive, to ask in this way, an inexperianced President...

....however Dick Chaney and Colin Powel are veterans of the White House.

They would have known this.
    I did read somewhere that Colin Powell was less than impressed with the WMD intelligence he was asked to front up.

If this was the case then any decision to make the facts fit (if this happened) was taken at a level lower than VP or SofS.

The relationship between Iraqi exiles, the Intelligence Community and certain members of some think tanks might bear interesting examination.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@24 July 2004 - 17:39

Well I don't know if thats exactly true; but it brings up an interesting point...

so if the Intel community were asked to find evidence that Saddam Hussein was complying with the resolutions, I wonder how much evidence would be found. Both sides would then have to be measured, Then a decision made.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12