Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Psu And Power Supply

so...my computer sounds like a monster...its really annoying cuz its all i can hear...so i wanna get some new fans and a new power supply...im still using the 2 fans and PSU that came with the turbo aspire case. psu is working fine but i should probably get a good one anyway and theres this annoying sound from it. and the fans are like hurricanes.......

so i want at least 2 new fans and a new power supply....ive heard the Thermaltake W0014 Silent Purepower and on the low - mid fan speed, it was pretty quiet...i could deal with that....

for the fan im looking at THESE right now...would they be good and reliable and QUIET?? does anyone have any suggestions of which fan i can get (80mm) thats under $8(including shipping), quiet, and still moves air??

and i really have no idea on the PSU...im hoping to get it under $50 with shipping....possibly under 40...i think 350watts would be enough because i have 2.8ghz HT, radeon 9600, liteon dvd-rw, seagate 120 hd, asus p4c800-e deluxe...i think THIS might be a good choice...does anyone have any suggestions??

is it possible that the cpu fan is loud?? i'm using the stock fan/heatsink that came with the P4 2.8cghz HT...it usually runs near 2800 rpm...i really dunno if this is making any sound cuz of the stupid psu....

thx for your help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Antec make a TRUE power series: http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_p_truepw.html

Has fan speed control that works with temperature. When it get hotter tha fans speed up. You can also connect your case fans to be speed controlled too.

Thanks to Antec New Low Noise Technology, system noise is substantially reduced, too. The power supply fans run at the lowest speed appropriate to load and conditions, controlled by an advanced temperature response system that outperforms previous solutions. Dedicated Fan Only power connectors allow TruePower power supplies to control the speed of case fans, too, thus reducing total system noise.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    My new love is antec (case wise) and antec are great power supply's as well so i'll definately have to agree with VB.

for 80mm fans u could keep the current ones and buy a fan speed controller, or use the built in one in teh power supply vb posted, or (this is the most unsafe way, but it is what i did) volt mod the fans to run at 7volts. this makes them run slower making them much quieter but they blow less air... (anything of the ways i posted will make them run slower, quieter, and blow less air anyway).

your cpu fan is probably the biggest noise maker in your system, it was for mine. What i did, and a lot of other people on this forum have done, is buy an 80mm fan (mine has blue leds ) and an 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor (a cpu heatsink is 60mm usually) and attach the 80mm fan which runs a lot quieter than those little 60mm fans.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-906&depa=0

theres one...a little more expensive than id like it to be....

hmm...i dunno my fans seem louder than normal....probably cuz it came with the crappy case...i think i might get 3 fans....and use 1 for the cpu i guess...how much ar the adapter things??

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@23 July 2004 - 22:36
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-906&depa=0

theres one...a little more expensive than id like it to be....

hmm...i dunno my fans seem louder than normal....probably cuz it came with the crappy case...i think i might get 3 fans....and use 1 for the cpu i guess...how much ar the adapter things??
    mine was 10 or 11 canadian dollars...probably cost u about 5\6 american.

ya i got the exact one, from same place, that vb linked too.

Here is the american tigerdirect: $7.99

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ooh man...this is alot more expensive than i thought it would be...wanted it to be like under 60

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@23 July 2004 - 22:52
    ooh man...this is alot more expensive than i thought it would be...wanted it to be like under 60
    computer stuff is expensive.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    how about this PSU??
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-104-966&depa=0

someone said it was really quiet and i always heard that forton made reliable power supplies

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@23 July 2004 - 22:58
    how about this PSU??
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-104-966&depa=0

someone said it was really quiet and i always heard that forton made reliable power supplies
    I've heard that Fortron are good as well.

And with just a 120mm fan it should run very quiet

edit:
    Good quality, everything works, 120mm fan on PSU puts out a TON of air, very nice

i only gave it a 4 becasue there is a different molex type connector on it which allows you to easily remove the connector from drives. the only problem is that since it isnt flat i couldnt put it into my 9800's power connector, i got around it by using a split from a fan.
    Image Resized
    [img]http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-104-966-07.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Might wanna watch out for that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast