Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is There Any Demand For This Kind Of Thing?

Poster
    I've been tinkering around for a bit with a PHP file manager, mainly as a way for my sister to transfer stuff between her computer and the computers at her school, but it's become much more than that now. It's become something that allows people to not only view and download files in a web directory, but to upload files (to contribute) and manage existing ones with rename, move (folder navigation), and delete options. It's also got all kinds of abilities to handle multiple users with different levels of permission.

So the concept is this: any user can contribute to a collection of files on a web server in addition to taking from it, but absolutely no additional software is required to participate (well, technically a web browser, but who doesn't have one of those?). It takes a web server running PHP to run it on, but that's not too difficult for those that are technically inclined (like many of the people here ), plus many free web hosts have PHP. But once that's set up & configured (it's also incredibly customizable if you can merely read PHP), it's incredibly simple to use and manage, and absolutely anyone who can use a browser can use it and contribute to it.

So my question is this: Is there a real demand for this kind of thing? I know apps like Bittorrent are primarily used for this kind of thing, as they can offer so many more features... but would people use this? It can make filesharing as easy as web browsing and can provide great convienence for people who want a way to remotely access files from their computer and transfer them back as well. Anyways, everyone can try it out here. Feel free to try out all the features... if you want to mess with the authentication & permissions, the default usernames & passwords are User & Pass, with anywhere from 1 to 6 appended to both (ex: User1 & Pass1, mind the case). Let me know what you think!
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Can you be more specific?

3. Lounge   -   #3

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi+24 July 2004 - 03:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darth Sushi &#064; 24 July 2004 - 03:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Can you be more specific?[/b]

About?

<!--QuoteBegin-ziggyjuarez
    @24 July 2004 - 11:40
    Hypo?[/quote]
    ?
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by DrSpud+24 July 2004 - 15:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrSpud @ 24 July 2004 - 15:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@24 July 2004 - 03:53
    Can you be more specific?
    About?

@24 July 2004 - 11:40
    Hypo?
    ? [/b][/quote]
    sure

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by ziggyjuarez@24 July 2004 - 11:49
    sure
    Really, what? I don&#39;t get what you mean...

Oh, and who was it that was playing around with it right after I posted? internet.news?? It was pretty funny to see that.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by DrSpud+24 July 2004 - 16:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrSpud @ 24 July 2004 - 16:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ziggyjuarez@24 July 2004 - 11:49
    sure

Oh, and who was it that was playing around with it right after I posted? internet.news?? It was pretty funny to see that. [/b][/quote]
    yep,ok

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ziggyjuarez+24 July 2004 - 16:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ziggyjuarez @ 24 July 2004 - 16:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by DrSpud@24 July 2004 - 16:27
    @24 July 2004 - 11:49
    sure

Oh, and who was it that was playing around with it right after I posted? internet.news?? It was pretty funny to see that.
    yep,ok [/b][/quote]
    He&#39;s not Hypo.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by Withcheese+24 July 2004 - 16:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 24 July 2004 - 16:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ziggyjuarez@24 July 2004 - 16:36
    Originally posted by DrSpud@24 July 2004 - 16:27
    @24 July 2004 - 11:49
    sure

yep,ok
    He&#39;s not Hypo. [/b][/quote]
    i think he is

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Wait, you thought I was that Hypoluxa guy?
    I never really knew what exactly it was with him. I&#39;ve heard about him, but I don&#39;t think I ever knew why everyone here hates him - probably for a good reason, I suppose.

Anyway, what&#39;s Death Sushi talking about? What should I be more specific about???
    What&#39;s everyone else think about it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast